none
Visual Studio 2017 Ent. 15.4.3 hangs on Break-point / debugging RRS feed

• Question

• Visual Studio 2017 Ent. 15.4.3 on Windows 10 freezes, generates a crash dump and then restarts anytime it encounters a breakpoint.

Tried several options including uninstalling and reinstalling VS2017.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Al

• Edited by AL20172017 Friday, November 10, 2017 1:11 AM
    Friday, November 10, 2017 12:58 AM

All replies

• Hi AL20172017,

Do you have get any error message when finish installing? Please use http://aka.ms/vscollect  to gather the VS and .Net Frameowrk installation logs. After using it, you will find vslogs.cab from %temp% folder. Please upload the file to Onedrive and share the link here. I will check whether there has any installation issue.

And since ActiveLog.xml will log all operations of your Visual Studio, please check this file under the path of %AppData%\Microsoft\VisualStudio\15.0, whether there has any error message when debug with Visual Studio.

In addition, please try run your Visual Studio as administrator to make sure it has enough permission to do any operations. And also check whether you have installed any third part extensions/plugin for your Visual Studio. Please uninstall these extensions and plugins to make sure it is not caused by them.

Best Regards,
    Weiwei

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Monday, November 13, 2017 2:16 AM
  • Thanks but I have tried all suggestions with no change in results.

Monday, November 13, 2017 2:56 PM
  • Hi AL20172017,

Do you have collect the installation logs? Please share it here, I will help you check whether there has any installation issue on your Visual Studio.

And how about the ActiveLog.xml? You also could share it here.

In addition, the Visual Studio hangs when hit breakpoints, do you have tried in other type of project? For example, if you has this issue on Console application, please try in WinForm application. It could help us confirm whether this problem related to project template or not.

Best Regards,
    Weiwei

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, November 14, 2017 1:21 AM
  • I have an Activity Log. Cannot seem to find the VS2017 Installation logs. The how can I upload the Activity log?
    Tuesday, November 14, 2017 3:23 PM
  • Hi AL20172017,

You could upload to a cloud driver, such as OneDrive and then share a public link here as a common text. I will copy it to download your Activity Log to check it.

Best Regards,
    Weiwei

MSDN Community Support

Wednesday, November 15, 2017 8:08 AM
  • Thanks Weiwei. I have discovered the issue.  My TFS Workspace must have been corrupted. Once I deleted the workspace from the server and recreated, my issue disappeared.

Thanks again for your help!

Wednesday, November 15, 2017 2:07 PM
  • Hi AL20172017,

Thanks for your response and share your solution here.

Please mark your reply as answer which is benefit to other communities who has the same issue. If any questions about Visual Studio IDE, please feel free to come to our forum.

Best Regards,
    Weiwei

MSDN Community Support

Thursday, November 16, 2017 7:17 AM