none
Command Prompt Running? RRS feed

• Question

• Anybody know if VS2017 (Community) is periodically firing off something that flashes open a window and then immediately closes it?  I'm regularly seeing the flash of a window opening and closing, but it's usually such a long interval and so fast I can't think of how to catch what's happening.

It "mostly seems" to "maybe" be related to my having VS2017 running at the time -- possibly idle while I'm using a different app. Although I can't swear it doesn't happen without VS2017 running since I almost always have it running.  This didn't happen with VS2015.

If nobody else knows of VS2017 doing this, can anybody think of some tool (maybe part of sys internals?) that'll record app launches so I can check its log after I see the flash?  There does not seem to be any reasonable way to anticipate the event, but I can certainly know when it just happened and then check some log or something.

I realize this can have the feel of some kind of malware, but Windows Defender has been running since before this started, and I don't run around installing apps from strange sources.  Also since the event is flashing a window, it means if it was malware it'd be pretty dumb/unsophisticated malware that Windows Defender should know about.  Thus it seems pretty unlikely.

-- kburgoyne

Wednesday, June 14, 2017 12:06 AM

Answers

• Process Monitor from Sysinternals with Show Process and Thread Activity toolbar button pressed will log events that you can check after a command prompt flash.

(I recently used it to track a command prompt flash from Microsoft Office Click-to-Run Service that happened once an hour.)

Sergey Vlasov | Vlasov Studio | Visual Studio extensions and tools

• Edited by Sergey Vlasov Wednesday, June 14, 2017 4:18 AM
    • Marked as answer by kburgoyne Thursday, June 15, 2017 3:05 PM
    Wednesday, June 14, 2017 4:13 AM
  • >Anybody know if VS2017 (Community) is periodically firing off something that flashes open a window and then immediately closes it?  I'm regularly seeing the flash of a window opening and closing, but it's usually such a long interval and so fast I can't think of how to catch what's happening.

If it's repeating every hour I think it's a known issue with a recent Office update.

Check the Task Scheduler, Microsoft, Office, OfficeBackgroundTaskHandlerRegistration task.

Dave

• Marked as answer by kburgoyne Thursday, June 15, 2017 3:04 PM
    Wednesday, June 14, 2017 12:57 PM

All replies

• Process Monitor from Sysinternals with Show Process and Thread Activity toolbar button pressed will log events that you can check after a command prompt flash.

(I recently used it to track a command prompt flash from Microsoft Office Click-to-Run Service that happened once an hour.)

Sergey Vlasov | Vlasov Studio | Visual Studio extensions and tools

• Edited by Sergey Vlasov Wednesday, June 14, 2017 4:18 AM
    • Marked as answer by kburgoyne Thursday, June 15, 2017 3:05 PM
    Wednesday, June 14, 2017 4:13 AM
  • >Anybody know if VS2017 (Community) is periodically firing off something that flashes open a window and then immediately closes it?  I'm regularly seeing the flash of a window opening and closing, but it's usually such a long interval and so fast I can't think of how to catch what's happening.

If it's repeating every hour I think it's a known issue with a recent Office update.

Check the Task Scheduler, Microsoft, Office, OfficeBackgroundTaskHandlerRegistration task.

Dave

• Marked as answer by kburgoyne Thursday, June 15, 2017 3:04 PM
    Wednesday, June 14, 2017 12:57 PM
  • Hi kburgoyne,

Welcome to the MSDN forum.

>>I'm regularly seeing the flash of a window opening and closing

Do you mean the window close or popups a flash windows, then close VS 2017?

To know the detail information about this, you can have a try with the Process Monitor like Sergey Vlasov or go to Event Viewer, check there records any warning or error information or not.

Now the latest version of VS community 2017 is version 15.2 (26430.13), you can go to Help-About Microsoft Visual Studio to check the version. Make sure you already installed the latest update, then re-run the VS 2017 installer as administrator, click the icon beside the ‘Launch’ icon and choose ‘Repair’ to repair VS 2017.

If you already found some useful information about this issue, please update it in here and we will help you research it, thank you for your cooperation.

Best regards,

Sara

MSDN Community Support<br/> Please remember to click &quot;Mark as Answer&quot; the responses that resolved your issue, and to click &quot;Unmark as Answer&quot; if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact <a href="mailto:MSDNFSF@microsoft.com">MSDNFSF@microsoft.com</a>.

Thursday, June 15, 2017 3:23 AM
  • Thanks everyone for your efforts to help out.

I followed Dave's path and found the MSOffice schedule, so that confirmed the hourly task was set on my system.  I also (now) remember an MSOffice update that occurred around the same time I installed VS2017. The MSOffice update involved less of my attention than installing VS2017, so the MSOffice update didn't some to mind.

I followed Sergey's path and had ProcMon running yesterday just to see if I could catch the culprit while assuming it was MSOffice.  Unfortunately the culprit decided to go into hiding yesterday since I did not see any window flashes.  I assume the task is still firing but perhaps conditions are not always conducive to seeing the window.

Does anyone know of a write-up about this MSOffice thing, whether MS knows about it, and therefore hopefully has it on a to-do list for fixing in the next release?

Both Dave's and Sergey's kind feedback are useful and constructive so I think it appropriate to vote up both.

Thanks for checking in, Sara.  To answer your question, nothing goes wrong with VS2017.  There is just some window that my eye catches flashing open and flashing immediately closed again.  It doesn't cause anything (apparent) to happen with VS2017.

-- kburgoyne

Thursday, June 15, 2017 3:04 PM
  • >Does anyone know of a write-up about this MSOffice thing, whether MS knows about it, and therefore hopefully has it on a to-do list for fixing in the next release?

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/msoffice/forum/msoffice_officeinsider-mso_win10/officebackgroundtaskhandlerregistration-flashes-a/2600497e-78e4-41a1-9040-461cd2c3ea13

Thursday, June 15, 2017 3:43 PM
  • Thanks. Link worked.

-- kburgoyne

Thursday, June 15, 2017 4:21 PM