none
Is LightSwitch available for Visual Studio 2013 Express? RRS feed

• Question

• Is LightSwitch available for Visual Studio 2013 Express? 

Is there an OS dependency for this and if so where is it documented?
    Sunday, April 20, 2014 6:04 PM

Answers

• LightSwitch is only available in Visual Studio Professional and higher.

The HTML client side can run on virtually any client OS. The Silverlight client side can run on Windows an OSX.

The server-side can only be deployed on a Windows Server. I do not know whether the server side is supported to be hosted on other operating systems using Mono.

Regards, Xander. My Blog

Monday, April 21, 2014 12:40 AM
  • Here it is from the official MS website :

requirements for LightSwitch 

Eric

• Proposed as answer by Eric.Luitjens Wednesday, April 23, 2014 7:37 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by Eric.Luitjens Wednesday, April 23, 2014 7:43 AM
    • Marked as answer by Tatworth Wednesday, April 23, 2014 1:54 PM
    Wednesday, April 23, 2014 7:37 AM

All replies

• LightSwitch is only available in Visual Studio Professional and higher.

The HTML client side can run on virtually any client OS. The Silverlight client side can run on Windows an OSX.

The server-side can only be deployed on a Windows Server. I do not know whether the server side is supported to be hosted on other operating systems using Mono.

Regards, Xander. My Blog

Monday, April 21, 2014 12:40 AM
  • Where is it documented that "LightSwitch is only available in Visual Studio Professional and higher."?

Monday, April 21, 2014 9:17 AM
  • Because it's not available in the express version check it out for yourself.

It’s easy to quickly get up and running in LightSwitch so you can focus on features important to your business. You don’t necessarily need to write code to get a LightSwitch application up and running, but you’ll quickly realize that code is necessary for business rules, screen workflows and other user productivity features specific to your business requirements. Moreover, you can download and install LightSwitch extensions from the Visual Studio Gallery that add features to your application that aren’t available out of the box. You can even create extensions yourself using Visual Studio Professional or higher. It’s a good bet that the community will be creating some interesting extensions for LightSwitch!

more detail http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/magazine/hh335061.aspx

Eric

• Proposed as answer by Eric.Luitjens Monday, April 21, 2014 11:25 AM
    • Edited by Eric.Luitjens Monday, April 21, 2014 11:30 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by Eric.Luitjens Wednesday, April 23, 2014 7:37 AM
    Monday, April 21, 2014 11:24 AM
  • Thank you Eric for the very useful additional information about LightSwitch, but my question remains "Where is it documented that "LightSwitch is only available in Visual Studio Professional and higher."?"

Wednesday, April 23, 2014 4:59 AM
  • Here it is from the official MS website :

requirements for LightSwitch 

Eric

• Proposed as answer by Eric.Luitjens Wednesday, April 23, 2014 7:37 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by Eric.Luitjens Wednesday, April 23, 2014 7:43 AM
    • Marked as answer by Tatworth Wednesday, April 23, 2014 1:54 PM
    Wednesday, April 23, 2014 7:37 AM
  • That is the link to LightSwitch 2011 - the first version of LightSwitch, so not relevant anymore I would think. You want the LightSwitch that is included in Visual studio 2013.

Regards, Xander. My Blog

Wednesday, April 23, 2014 7:39 AM
  • the requirements for V2011 and VS2013 LS i see no different you must have VS profesional or higher to install Lightswitch iaw it's already there. 

Eric

Wednesday, April 23, 2014 7:48 AM
  • Thank you Eric for the link to http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?displaylang=en&id=26830.

I guess that they have not carried forward documentation of the requirement for VS Professional and above.
    Wednesday, April 23, 2014 1:56 PM