none
The 'XamarinShellPackage' did not load correctly.

Question

• I'm trying to get Xamarin installed on VS 2015, update 3, version 14.0.25431.01 using "Modify" on the Visual Studio setup program, and adding "C#/.NET (Xamarin v4.2.1)" component.

But when it is all done and I restart VS I get popup exception dialog saying The 'XamarinShellPackage' did not load correctly.

In debugging this I see the following unhandled exception inside MEF composition:

Method 'GetCustomViewBaseMapping' in type 'Xamarin.VisualStudio.Android.MonoAndroidDesignerInterface' from assembly 'Xamarin.VisualStudio.Android, Version=4.2.1.62, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=0738eb9f132ed756' does not have an implementation

Which is causing   Xamarin.VisualStudio.dll!Xamarin.VisualStudio.TastyPackage.Initialize()  (c:\data\lanes\3513\680125b0\source\xamarinvs\src\Core\VisualStudio\FlavorProject\TastyPackage.cs) to run into a 'System.Reflection.ReflectionTypeLoadException' in mscorlib.dll.

Can someone fix the MonoAndroidDesignerInterface so the method 'GetCustomViewBaseMapping'  is implemented ?

(since this is complaining about an Android thing I tried different Android SDK installs also, since the setup offers 4 different versions, but didn't seem to help).

Saturday, November 19, 2016 11:32 PM

All replies

• Hi Chris,

Thank you for posting MSDN forum.

For this issue, please have a try about the following msi:

http://xvs.xamarin.com/Xamarin.VisualStudio_3.11.524.msi

Then try following steps:

1. Close all instances of Visual Studio

2. Delete everything in this folder  C:\Users\%username\AppData\Local\Microsoft\VisualStudio\14.0\ComponentModelCache

3. Restart Visual Studio

Besides, as your question is related to loading XamarinShellPackage, I suggest you could Xamarin forum for dedicated support.

Thank you for your understanding.

Best Regards,

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, November 22, 2016 7:17 AM
  • Hi Chris,

Have you solved this issue successfully?

Would you mind sharing us your solution and result here?

If the error still persists, please feel free to let me know, I will try to help you solve this.

If you think my reply is helpful, please mark my reply as the answer, it will benefit to other community members who have the same issue.

Have a nice day :)

Best Regards

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, November 29, 2016 6:44 AM
  • didn't help. I'll try installing Xamarin Studio instead...
    Saturday, December 31, 2016 6:50 AM
  • Can't find an installer for Xamarin Studio standalone for Windows... so might have to give up at this point...
    Sunday, January 22, 2017 9:07 PM