none
How can I get my MTM test cases in TFS Source Control?

Question

• I need to have my test cases in some kind of version control system. I am creating them in MTM. I have the Team Foundation Server source control set up for my project.

I can access the test cases from within Visual Studio via Team Explorer (as Work Items) as well as in TFS.  I am trying to find a way to check my test cases in the TFS Source Control system, and am not finding a way to do that.

Is there a way to directly check my MTM Test Cases into the TFS Source Control System? 

Thanks,

Teodora

Friday, April 15, 2016 6:48 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi Teodora,

Thanks for your post.

>>Is there a way to directly check my MTM Test Cases into the TFS Source Control System? 

No, there is no way to achieve this. But why you want to check the MTM test case into TFS source control?

As far as I know, the test case created in MTM is stored in TFS by default. You can find it in TFS Database.

Also you can view the modified records histroy in MTM itself.

Best Regads,

Lake Xiao

Monday, April 18, 2016 2:50 AM
  • We need version control for test cases for the same reasons we need it for sources code:

• to have a controlled check in/check out system to prevent multiple users from editing the test case at the same time
    • to be able to revert to previous version(s) of a test case when incorrect modifications have been made

Other industry standard test management software has this capability, such as HP ALM (Quality Center).  This is a basic and obvious feature required for controlled management of test assets.  This may be a reason that we drop Test Manager as a possible solution for our organization.

Although having a change history helps, we cannot require our testers to manually make changes based on this when we need to revert to a previous state of the test case.

Is Microsoft planning to add real version control to Test Manager?

Thanks,

Teodora

Tuesday, April 19, 2016 1:44 PM
  • Hi Teodora,

I think you are right, Test Manager needs version control.

I have submit a feature request for it.

https://visualstudio.uservoice.com/forums/121579-visual-studio-2015/suggestions/13491180-add-version-control-to-test-manager

You can vote it and add your comment.

Best Regards,

Lake Xiao

• Proposed as answer by lake XiaoModerator Wednesday, April 20, 2016 1:01 AM
    • Marked as answer by Testadora Friday, April 22, 2016 9:24 PM
    Wednesday, April 20, 2016 1:01 AM
  • Awesome, Thanks! -- Teo
    Wednesday, April 20, 2016 4:59 PM
  • Hi Teo,

If possible, please mark the reply which is helpful as answer, so it would be helpful for other members who get the same issue as yours to research and find the answer directly, and I could close this case.

Have a nice day.

Best Regards,

Lake Xiao

Thursday, April 21, 2016 1:03 AM
  • Thanks, it helped to track changes in test case.  however, we need version control to retrieve specific version on demand.
    Wednesday, August 8, 2018 5:49 PM