TFS 2013 error after the project collection move from TFS 2012 RRS feed

• Question

• Here is the sequence of steps I followed for refreshing a single project collection from TFS 2012 Update 3 to TFS 2013 2.

1. We tried refreshing single project collection from TFS 2012 to TFS 2013. Took a recent full backup file which was dumped in a file share and restored it in a destination DB after running the Quiesce in TFS (Standalone installation) .  After the refresh, noted that none of the team projects were available as like in source. So tried to stop the collection once and start it.
    2. Stopping the project collection happened without any issues.
    3. However while starting the collection, it returned the error as " TF400783: The host 'Default_Collection' cannot be started. The host is in the process of being serviced. The servicing may have failed and needs to be restarted and completed before the host can be started"
    4. Tried to detach the Project collection and that too completed with the error message as " TF401219: The team project collection 'Default_Collection' cannot be detached because its version ID is different than the ID for the configuration database. The collection has the following version: Dev11.M49. The Team Foundation Server is at the following version: Dev12.M68"
    5. Also Found an error in TFS logs as " TF400876: Could not find the partition for host 5165783c-4dbc-44b8-ae12-c1a4f141575b"

As per some forums, thinking that lack of Update 3 might be the issue in destination environment, installed update 3 over there. But that didn't fixed the error either. Any help on this is highly appreciated.

Veeramani.S

Tuesday, October 14, 2014 1:03 PM

Answers

• Hi Veera.S,   

Thanks for your post.

Your TFS 2012 and TFS 2013 using the same SQL Server version? Which SQL Server version(s) you’re using?

To move a TFS 2012 collection to an existing TFS 2013 Server, you need follow the below steps:

1. Detach the collection in your TFS 2012 Admin Console
    2. Backup this collection in your TFS 2012’s SQL Server.
    3. Restore the collection backup to TFS 2013’s SQL Server, after restored successfully, ensure this collection listed in TFS 2013’s SQL Server.
    4. In your TFS 2013 Admin Console, try to attach this restored database, ensure can attach successfully without any error.

You can connect to your TFS 2013’s SQL Server using SSMS, then manually check(right click on collection) that restored collection’s version in there.

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Wednesday, October 15, 2014 2:01 AM
  • Hi Veeramani.S, 

Thanks for your reply.

Yes, your understanding is correct.

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

• Marked as answer by Veera.S Thursday, October 16, 2014 5:34 AM
    Thursday, October 16, 2014 1:55 AM
  • Hi Veeramani.S, 

Thanks for your reply.

There’s no Reporting service and SharePoint configured with your Product TFS Server?

On your test environment perform the below steps:

1. Unconfigure TFS (tfsconfig setup /uninstall:all) http://almgoodygoodies.blogspot.com/2013/11/tfs-2013-re-apply-configuration-of.html.
    2. Restore all your Product TFS Server database backup files to SQL Server which on test environment(remove all the original test environment TFS Server’s databases if they existing in SQL Server)
    3. Configure the TFS Server using Application Tier Only Wizard.

• Marked as answer by Veera.S Thursday, October 16, 2014 7:44 AM
    Thursday, October 16, 2014 7:15 AM

All replies

• Here is the sequence of steps I followed for refreshing a single project collection from TFS 2012 Update 3 to TFS 2013 2.

1. We tried refreshing single project collection from TFS 2012 to TFS 2013. Took a recent full backup file which was dumped in a file share and restored it in a destination DB after running the Quiesce in TFS (Standalone installation) .  After the refresh, noted that none of the team projects were available as like in source. So tried to stop the collection once and start it.

have you detached the TFS collection before doing the SQL backup and restore ?

and which SQL Server version are you using ?

Please use Mark as Answer if my post solved your problem and use Vote As Helpful if a post was useful.

Tuesday, October 14, 2014 3:49 PM
  • Hi Veera.S,   

Thanks for your post.

Your TFS 2012 and TFS 2013 using the same SQL Server version? Which SQL Server version(s) you’re using?

To move a TFS 2012 collection to an existing TFS 2013 Server, you need follow the below steps:

1. Detach the collection in your TFS 2012 Admin Console
    2. Backup this collection in your TFS 2012’s SQL Server.
    3. Restore the collection backup to TFS 2013’s SQL Server, after restored successfully, ensure this collection listed in TFS 2013’s SQL Server.
    4. In your TFS 2013 Admin Console, try to attach this restored database, ensure can attach successfully without any error.

You can connect to your TFS 2013’s SQL Server using SSMS, then manually check(right click on collection) that restored collection’s version in there.

Wednesday, October 15, 2014 2:01 AM
  • You backed up and restored only project collection database, right? You did not, by accident, restored Tfs_configuration database? Just checking.
    Wednesday, October 15, 2014 2:34 AM
  • Thanks for the reply Daniel. No I didn't detached the TFS collection before the SQL backup, because that project collection was in Production.

We do have the TFS backup configured for that production instance through TFS. So I just took the recent full backup for that particular project collection.

I have verified the SQL edition in both the instances and its exactly same. SQL 2012 and more specifically 11.0.3128.

Veeramani.S

Wednesday, October 15, 2014 6:15 AM
  • Thanks for looking into this John.

I have verified the SQL edition in both the instances and its exactly same. SQL 2012 and more specifically 11.0.3128.

Regarding your Step 3, there was a little deviation on what I did.I already had one default collection in the destination. So I just overwrite that DB with the full backup from TFS 2012. Is that not supported?

Veeramani.S

Wednesday, October 15, 2014 6:18 AM
  • Thanks for the reply Yermax. No it wasn't configuration DB, it was the collection database only.

Veeramani.S

Wednesday, October 15, 2014 6:19 AM
  • Hi Veeramani.S, 

Thanks for your reply.

You need to detach that collection in TFS 2012 Admin Console first, then backup that collection’s databases in TFS 2012’s SQL Server, after created backup correctly, then you can attach that collection back to TFS 2012 Server.

Wednesday, October 15, 2014 6:35 AM
  • Hi John, 

Again many thanks for showing your interest to make my issue/query resolved. I have couple more questions based on your previous reply.

1. Is detaching the Project collection and taking backup is the only possible solution to move the project collections across different environments? If so how do we have to refresh the project collections from Production to PRE QA, DEV or Test environment, because detaching the project collection wont be viable option on all the times. 

2. Likewise If detaching and backup is the only possible solution, then it raises the question of what to do with backup file which will get generated for each project collection as a part of TFS backup schedule.

If this process involves different steps, please shed me some light on it.

Veeramani.S

Wednesday, October 15, 2014 10:15 AM
  • Hi Veeranmani.S, 

Thanks for your reply.

Yes, I we want move the collection(s) from one existing TFS Server to another existing TFS Server, you need to detach the collection in source TFS Server first.

The backup files which created using TFS Backup Schedule tool usually use to restore the TFS Server, if some accidents happened in the current TFS Server and caused the TFS Server doesn’t work and cannot be fix, we reinstall the new TFS Server using that backup files, or we can move current TFS Server to another new hardware using that backup files, please refer to: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms404869.aspx. 

Wednesday, October 15, 2014 11:17 AM
  • WoW!This is a new piece of information. Just to confirm again as we have to rethink about our backup strategy.

My understanding after your recent comment is :

Using the TFS schedule backup, we cant just move the project collection and the only way to move the project collection would be a detach, backup and move?

The necessity of TFS backup would be restoring the complete TFS and not just some pieces of it (Say project collection in this case)

Let me know if my understanding is wrong.

I really appreciate your commitment!!

Veeramani.S

Wednesday, October 15, 2014 11:40 AM
  • Using the TFS schedule backup, we cant just move the project collection and the only way to move the project collection would be a detach, backup and move?

The necessity of TFS backup would be restoring the complete TFS and not just some pieces of it (Say project collection in this case)

hi Veeramani

in principle this is correct.

there're some workarounds with additional steps but it is not supported by MSFT and it works only if you've a complete &consistent backup of TFS data tier and you don't have any other option.

Please use Mark as Answer if my post solved your problem and use Vote As Helpful if a post was useful.

Wednesday, October 15, 2014 3:00 PM
  • Hi Veeramani.S, 

Thanks for your reply.

Yes, your understanding is correct.

• Marked as answer by Veera.S Thursday, October 16, 2014 5:34 AM
    Thursday, October 16, 2014 1:55 AM
  • Thanks John. This discussion is really useful!!

One more query since I still think that detaching the Project collection cant be done in production scenario as this will have a downtime for sometime.

If I do have only one project collection DB in production, so if I restore it along with the Config and Warehouse DB in Testing environment with backup files, will it work ?

Veeramani.S

Thursday, October 16, 2014 5:39 AM
  • Hi Veeramani.S,  

Thanks for your reply.

After you restored that databases to Testing environment SQL Server, how do you want to working with that databases in TFS? Install a new TFS Server using that moved databases?

Thursday, October 16, 2014 5:46 AM
  • Hi John,

Already we have one test environment provisioned with dummy project collection (No data on it or not being used by any). So by doing this restoration, I would like to have the same data as like in Production and ensure that TFS backup which we take in Production works fine.

Thanks!

Veeramani.S

Thursday, October 16, 2014 6:18 AM
  • Hi Veeramani.S, 

Thanks for your reply.

There’s no Reporting service and SharePoint configured with your Product TFS Server?

On your test environment perform the below steps:

1. Unconfigure TFS (tfsconfig setup /uninstall:all) http://almgoodygoodies.blogspot.com/2013/11/tfs-2013-re-apply-configuration-of.html.
    2. Restore all your Product TFS Server database backup files to SQL Server which on test environment(remove all the original test environment TFS Server’s databases if they existing in SQL Server)
    3. Configure the TFS Server using Application Tier Only Wizard.

• Marked as answer by Veera.S Thursday, October 16, 2014 7:44 AM
    Thursday, October 16, 2014 7:15 AM
  • Thanks a lot for all the guidance provided John. This is really useful.

Yes my test environment didn't have Reporting service or SharePoint extension configured.

Veeramani.S

• Edited by Veera.S Thursday, October 16, 2014 7:48 AM missed out something and added it back
    Thursday, October 16, 2014 7:44 AM
  • You’re welcome!! 

Thursday, October 16, 2014 7:47 AM
  • Hi Jhon,

Why there is no option to restore TFS collection to different server when it is not detached from Admin console?

What if only single collection DB got corrupted/ some how got deleted?

Configure Application tier only mode will look for all DB which were existing on Prod instance, so I dont want to go with that option as we have more collections.. We need to move only one collection to new server and that too without detaching the DB orm TFS Amdin console.

I can achieve this in TFS 2010 using TFS Recover command.

Why there is no option of recover in TFS 2012/2013?

Regards,

Prashantgouda

Friday, November 14, 2014 7:13 AM