none
Visual Studio Community Licence

Question

• Hi, 

I'm a bank employee and I'm proficient in C#. I want to use VS Community to develop desktop windows app to automate some tasks and to be used inside my bank without charging (free of use internally). The app may be used eventually by other colleagues inside the company.  VS Community will be installed on my Personnal Computer not in work. Should a VS Community edition will be sufficient or should I purchase a VS Professional individual licence ? If VS Community is not sufficient will a VS Pro. be ok ? Is t possible in this case to sell the app to my company ? I will purchase the VS Pro licence at my own expenses without any reimbursement from my company.  

Thanks

Saturday, May 25, 2019 12:14 AM

All replies

• If you writing software for yourself you should be ok to use community.  If you are writing software for your bank you would need a professional license.  

https://visualstudio.microsoft.com/vs/compare/

Saturday, May 25, 2019 1:19 AM
  • Hi friend,

Welcome to the MSDN forum.

Please check this: MICROSOFT SOFTWARE LICENSE TERMS and check the following information:

Organizational License. If you are an organization, your users may use the software as follows:

· Any number of your users may use the software to develop and test applications released under Open Source Initiative (OSI) approved open source software licenses.

· Any number of your users may use the software to develop and test extensions to Visual Studio.

· Any number of your users may use the software to develop and test device drivers for the Windows operating system.

· Any number of your users may use the software to develop and test your applications as part of online or in person classroom training and education, or for performing academic research.

· If none of the above apply, and you are also not an enterprise (defined below), then up to 5 of your individual users can use the software concurrently to develop and test your applications.

· If you are an enterprise, your employees and contractors may not use the software to develop or test your applications, except for: (i) open source; (ii) Visual Studio extensions; (iii) device drivers for the Windows operating system; and, (iv) education purposes as permitted above.

An “enterprise” is any organization and its affiliates who collectively have either (a) more than 250 PCs or users or (b) one million U.S. dollars (or the equivalent in other currencies) in annual revenues, and “affiliates” means those entities that control (via majority ownership), are controlled by, or are under common control with an organization.

Please check if your bank is an enterprise or not, if it is not enterprise and up to 5 of your individual users can use the software concurrently to develop and test your applications. If it is enterprise and you cannot use it since you use your applications for your company internal usage.

>>If VS Community is not sufficient will a VS Pro. be ok ? Is t possible in this case to sell the app to my company? I will purchase the VS Pro licence at my own expenses without any reimbursement from my company.

As my understanding, you purchase the VS professional license with your own money, and then you can sell your application.

Hope the above information is helpful for you and if you have any other issues, please feel free to let us know.

Best regards,

Sara

MSDN Community Support Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com

• Proposed as answer by FunDeve Monday, May 27, 2019 1:14 PM
    Monday, May 27, 2019 2:19 AM
  • Thank you very much Sara for your prompt reply, just to avoid any misunderstanding before purchasing my VS Pro individual licence, could you please confirm by yes or no the following: 

1) So VS Community not allowed to deploy application inside my company even if I'm not charging my company ? 

2) VS Pro, I can use my individual licence to deploy free of charge or to sell developed application inside my company. VS will be installed on my personal computer not inside the company. 

Thanks in advance for your help !
    • Edited by FunDeve Monday, May 27, 2019 10:10 PM
    Monday, May 27, 2019 10:04 PM
  • I'm not sure that Sara has everything correct. Go to the link below and look at the License agreement specifically for the Community Edition. I am not lawyer but as I read it, you as an individual developer can develop your software and do pretty much anything you want to with it, including give away as many copies as you want or sell it if you choose to. 

https://visualstudio.microsoft.com/license-terms/mlt031819/ 

This is the very first part of the License Agreement.

"1. INSTALLATION AND USE RIGHTS.

a. Individual License. If you are an individual working on your own applications, either to sell or for any other purpose, you may use the software to develop and test those applications. "

JR

Tuesday, May 28, 2019 5:39 AM