none
Bug reactivation - loop counter

Question

• My team is very serious about tracking bug reactivations, so they asked me to setup a bug reactivation counter. They basically want a field in the bug form showing the number of reactivation loops.
    Is there a way to create a numeric field and increase its value (x++) every time the bug transitions from close/resolved to active?
    Not sure if the work item XML allows mathematical operations...

I know this info is available in the history, but if the bug has a too may events it is had to find the number of reactivations.

Thanks.

Tuesday, November 29, 2005 5:41 PM

Answers

• This isn't doable through the UI or the standard rules for field transitions.  However, there is a "work item changed" event that you can subscribe to and do this, checking the State change for this transition and then modifying a field of the work item appropriately.  The Extensibility Kit should have some examples and docs on using that event if you choose to go that route.
    Tuesday, November 29, 2005 11:37 PM

All replies

• Unfortunately, this is not possible with the current version.

Thanks,
    Alex

Tuesday, November 29, 2005 6:14 PM
  • This isn't doable through the UI or the standard rules for field transitions.  However, there is a "work item changed" event that you can subscribe to and do this, checking the State change for this transition and then modifying a field of the work item appropriately.  The Extensibility Kit should have some examples and docs on using that event if you choose to go that route.
    Tuesday, November 29, 2005 11:37 PM
  • It is also possible to generate a report using the warehouse that includes reactivation.  I'll forward this to someone on the reporting team that may be able to give you more info on this.

Brian
    Thursday, December 01, 2005 1:31 PM
  • There is a Reactivations report included in the standard templates that shows the number of reactivations relative to the number of currently active bugs for each day in a selected time period.

You could modify this report, or create a custom one that looks only at a particular area or subset of people on your team, and create a data-driven subscription in reporting services to send notifications when the reactivation count reaches a certain value. For more information on data driven subscriptions, see:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/RSAMPLES/htm/rss_tutorials_v1_59ye.asp

Also, it is quite easy to use excel or some other OLAP client to find this information. In excel, connect to the cube and filter your query on "Previous State = Closed" and "State = Active", the measure "Work Item Count" will show the number of reactivations. If you want to look at this at a point in time in the past, you can use the "Cumulative Count" measure, and add a selection of dates to your row axis.

-tom

Thursday, December 01, 2005 5:29 PM