none
please help me find where i find this Object Relational Designer in VS2017? RRS feed

Answers

• Cor,

But I have no idea what "AFAIK" stands for.  But I seem to recall seeing "AFAIK" before, even if I cannot recall where.

t

As Far As I Know

Success
    Cor

• Marked as answer by PuzzledByWord Tuesday, August 22, 2017 2:39 PM
    Sunday, August 20, 2017 11:10 AM

All replies

• Mark,

You are aware that this is about Linq to SQL an object related mapper ORM which they created because the Entitity framework was not yet ready while promised. AFAIK not even anymore standard in VS 2017?

Better use the entitiy framework now.

Success
    Cor

Wednesday, August 16, 2017 11:34 AM
  • As Cor has indicated in regards to Entity Framework, there is a designer for version 6.x but beyond that there are no designers.

Using EF 6 with a small to medium size database can be okay or not okay as with use the designer rather than say code first method of working with EF you lose the ability to take more control over the model yet on when using the designer method with a non-complex database model you can the relational designer to work with.

I have a MSDN code sample for VB.NET, Entity Framework 5 using the designer that does a master-detail dog and pony show to learn from.

I put the designer code into a class library rather in the forms project which if another app needs the same code it can use it along with best practices of splitting up data, business logic and user interface.

Bonus, to use a DataGridView properly you will need to CustomBindingListLibrary included with this code sample.

Lastly, to run the code sample you need to create the database and populate via the CreateScript project.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help, this will help others who are looking for solutions to the same or similar problem. Contact via my Twitter (Karen Payne) or Facebook (Karen Payne) via my MSDN profile but will not answer coding question on either.
    VB Forums - moderator
    profile for Karen Payne on Stack Exchange, a network of free, community-driven Q&A sites

Wednesday, August 16, 2017 12:54 PM
  • Hi Mark J,

The Object Relational Designer (O/R Designer) provides a visual design surface for creating LINQ to SQL entity classes and associations (relationships) that are based on objects in a database. In other words, the O/R Designer is used to create an object model in an application that maps to objects in a database. It also generates a strongly-typed DataContext that is used to send and receive data between the entity classes and the database.

The Object Relational Designer is more for creating objects that mimic your database tables in a way that they are easily updateable and easy to query from. (LINQ to SQL)

To use the Object Relational Designer simply open the server explorer and drag a table into the data class window. It should show the table name with the properties. Now in your code simply type that table name as if it were an object.
    https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb384429.aspx

Best Regards,

Cherry

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Thursday, August 17, 2017 3:00 AM
  • Hi Karen,

I appreciate you posting a VB example of Entity Framework. I got further with yours than several others I have tried. I am stuck with Dim ops As New Operations. I get the read swiggles. Any ideas?

Mary

Thursday, August 17, 2017 8:04 AM
  • Hi Karen,

I appreciate you posting a VB example of Entity Framework. I got further with yours than several others I have tried. I am stuck with Dim ops As New Operations. I get the read swiggles. Any ideas?

Mary

http://www.vbforums.com/showthread.php?540421-Tutorial-An-Introduction-to-the-ADO-NET-Entity-Framework
    Thursday, August 17, 2017 12:01 PM
  • Hi Karen,

Mary

Operations is in the class project "BackendOperations"

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help, this will help others who are looking for solutions to the same or similar problem. Contact via my Twitter (Karen Payne) or Facebook (Karen Payne) via my MSDN profile but will not answer coding question on either.
    VB Forums - moderator
    profile for Karen Payne on Stack Exchange, a network of free, community-driven Q&A sites

• Proposed as answer by Mary OB Friday, August 18, 2017 4:27 AM
    Thursday, August 17, 2017 12:24 PM
  • Cor,

I really, really appreciate the info.

But I have no idea what "AFAIK" stands for.  But I seem to recall seeing "AFAIK" before, even if I cannot recall where.

thanks again.

Mark J 

Mark J

Sunday, August 20, 2017 9:55 AM
  • Cor,

t

As Far As I Know

Success
    Cor

• Marked as answer by PuzzledByWord Tuesday, August 22, 2017 2:39 PM
    Sunday, August 20, 2017 11:10 AM
  • Hi Mark,

Have you solved your issue now, if yes, please remember to close your thread by marking the helpful post as answer, it is beneficial to other community members who face the same issue.

If not, please post your lasted issue here.

Best Regards,

Cherry

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, August 22, 2017 9:14 AM