none
Unable to Debug Windows Store App RRS feed

• Question

• I am receiving this error when I try to run a Universal Windows App using the local machine button. 

Unable to debug Windows Store app 'c:\[folder]\bin\x86\Debug\App1.exe'.

Access is denied.

This started to occur two days ago with the app I was working on. I have also tried to run a new project/app (blank) and get the same error. I have attempted the following to no effect:

1. Make sure setting > Update & Security is set to Developer
    2. Make sure I have full rights to the folder specified in the error message.
    3. I have checked the "Compile with .net Native tool chain" under project properties
    4. Debug Options > Check "User Managed Compatibility Mode"
    5. Rebooted
    6. Uninstalled VS Community 2017 and reinstalled it
    7. Check for uninstalled updates on the machine

I am working with this on my home wifi network, I am not using OneDrive or any cloud storage. This was working several days ago but I have no restore point prior to the issue. Other than installing all windows updates after the issue was found, and making changes noted above based on thoughts in other threads, no other system changes have been made. I am logged into laptop as an administrator, and have also attempted to run VS "as an administrator", no effect.

I am missing something, any ideas?

Friday, February 22, 2019 9:04 PM

All replies

• With Windows apps you need to set "debug" mode on top menu bar to debug but when you upload the app it needs to be in release mode.

n.Wright

Sunday, February 24, 2019 11:07 PM
  • Hi,

Welcome to MSDN forum.

Did you install any extension for visual studio? Try to disable/uninstall them and check if the issue persists.

Please attempt to reset Visual Studio to System Defaults(click Tools->Import and Export Settings->Reset All Settings). Before doing this, please import the current setting.

Meanwhile, go to Tools | Options | Projects and Solutions | Build and Run | Build output verbosity to Diagnostic. Try F5 and share us the logs in output pane.

Best regards,

Joyce

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Monday, February 25, 2019 6:54 AM
  • Hi VTMChris,

Have you resolved your issue now? Please let me know if you hit into any blockers in trying out these workaround solutions. We will still be here to help you solve this issue. Thank you for your understanding.

Best regards,

Joyce

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Thursday, February 28, 2019 9:27 AM
  • @nigelwright7557

It is set to Debug in the top menu bar, but I cannot run it without getting the error. Thank you.

• Edited by VTMChris Wednesday, March 6, 2019 7:56 PM
    Wednesday, March 6, 2019 2:42 PM
  • @Joyce Yin

Thank you, I am sorry, I just realized I had responses, I hadn't received notification. I apologize that trying to diagnose a problem like this is a bit new to me.

I have disabled all extensions that I was able to, some did not give this option (Visual F# Tools, Roslyn Expression Evaluators, Roslyn Interactive Components, Roslyn Language Services). The issue remains unchanged.

Reset System Defaults. There was an error "importing CoffeeScript [code 5297]. It is unclear to me if the rest of the settings were reset or not. Issue remains unchanged.

Build Output verbosity, the output panel is cleared the moment error message appears... to fast to read, or capture the contents, is there a way to output this to a file?

• Edited by VTMChris Wednesday, March 6, 2019 7:56 PM
    Wednesday, March 6, 2019 7:28 PM