none
Invalid add parameter when downloading offline Visual Studio 2017 15.9 build tools component Microsoft.Component.VC.Runtime.UCRTSDK RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, I try to install the VS2017 build tools on an offline computer that cannot go online. For this, I need to create a local install cache from an Internet connected computer.

I need a specific subset of workloads and components to build the code.
    I am getting a "invalid parameter --add" error whenever I include the Microsoft.Component.VC.Runtime.UCRTSDK component.

For example, this simplified command isolates and gives the error: 
    vs_buildtools__1873784903.1478007874.exe --layout C:\Temp\VS2017BuildToolsV9 --add Microsoft.VisualStudio.Workload.VCTools -–add Microsoft.Component.VC.Runtime.UCRTSDK --lang en-US

The name of the problematic component has no typo, it was taken from this article:
    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/visualstudio/install/workload-component-id-vs-build-tools?view=vs-2017

You should be able to reproduce the problem by downloading the VS2017 build tools 15.9 from https://my.visualstudio.com/downloads and execute the example command.above (as of today, the latest version is vs_buildtools__1873784903.1478007874.exe)

Thank you.

Thursday, April 4, 2019 11:23 AM

Answers

• Hi turgeose,

Welcome to the MSDN forum.

According to your description, I tried to run the same command that you shared and it seems cannot reproduce your issue, please check my result as below:

Since the component ‘Microsoft.Component.VC.Runtime.UCRTSDK’ belongs to the workload ‘Microsoft.VisualStudio.Workload.VCTools’ which is optional, please have a try with parameter:

--add Microsoft.VisualStudio.Workload.VCTools --includeOptional --lang en-US

For more information, please check this.

Best regards,

Sara

MSDN Community Support Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com

Friday, April 5, 2019 3:42 AM

All replies

• Hi turgeose,

Welcome to the MSDN forum.

According to your description, I tried to run the same command that you shared and it seems cannot reproduce your issue, please check my result as below:

Since the component ‘Microsoft.Component.VC.Runtime.UCRTSDK’ belongs to the workload ‘Microsoft.VisualStudio.Workload.VCTools’ which is optional, please have a try with parameter:

--add Microsoft.VisualStudio.Workload.VCTools --includeOptional --lang en-US

For more information, please check this.

Best regards,

Sara

MSDN Community Support Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com

Friday, April 5, 2019 3:42 AM
  • I see that you did not use the same version of the build tools that I used. Despite of that, I followed your suggestion to use the --includeOptional command, and it did succeed in downloading what I needed.

Sebastien

• Edited by turgeose Wednesday, April 10, 2019 12:58 PM
    Wednesday, April 10, 2019 12:57 PM
  • Hi turgeose,

Thank you for your feedback and we are so glad to hear that your issue is solved.

If you have any other issues in the future, please feel free to let us know.

Have a nice day!

Best regards,

Sara

Thursday, April 11, 2019 1:46 AM