none
Excel COM Addin deployment issue for Office 2016

Question

• We have an Excel COM Addin, built with Visual Studio 2010, working in Office 2007. Now we are going to upgrade the Office version to Office 2016. We bought the Visual Studio 2017 to do the conversion. All functions are tested working, it is ready for deployment. We created a Visual Studio Installer project for the purpose, configured the properties the same as the installer project in Visual Studio 2010. But we got the issue of deployment in Windows7 64-bit OS.

1. For Windows7 32-bit OS: after running the setup.exe, the COM Addin is installed, and appears in the "COM Add-ins" window, and appears in the Ribbon. This works for both selections of "Install for yourself, or for anyone who uses this computer", choosing either Everyone or Just me.

2. For Windows7 64-bit OS: if choosing "Just me" option of "Install for yourself, or for anyone who uses this computer", then it is successfully installed, and appears in the "COM Add-ins" window.

But if choosing "Everyone" option of "Install for yourself, or for anyone who uses this computer", then the COM Addin does not appears in the "COM Add-ins" window, nor in the Ribbon.

I don't see any error message or warning. I'm stuck here, please help, thanks .

Qiner

Wednesday, January 03, 2018 10:56 PM

All replies

• This issue may be caused if you have built the add-in in debug on your machine and it is also installed from the deploy location.

1. Open “COM Add-ins” form by either

a. Go to the Developer ribbon and click on the “COM Add-ins” button

OR

b. Go to the "File" ribbon and click on the "Options" button. Then under “Add-Ins” select “COM Add-ins” and click “Go…”

2. Select the Add-in name and click the button “Remove”

3. Then you’ll need to uninstall the Add-in from "Programs and Features"

You may also need to Clean Online App Cache

1. Type “rundll32 dfshim CleanOnlineAppCache” in the command window

rundll32 dfshim CleanOnlineAppCache

Wednesday, January 03, 2018 11:13 PM
  • thank you Anthony. Yes, I built the COM Addin in debug mode, and tested to install to the same machine.

But I tried your method, still it does not show up in the "COM Add-ins" window, and not show up in the Ribbon, after running the setup.exe.  Any other reason?

Qiner

Wednesday, January 03, 2018 11:42 PM
  • Check out this article for machine wide Addin install instructions.

https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/vsto/2010/03/08/deploying-your-vsto-add-ins-to-all-users-saurabh-bhatia/

Thursday, January 04, 2018 6:16 AM
  • thanks for the article link, I've already read it before I post the issue.

It is helpful, and I paid attention to what described in the article.  In our situation, we use 64-bit 2016 Office application in 64-bit OS, so I set up the Windows registration key to User/Machine Hive, i.e.,

1. when install for the current user: the key is registered under HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\Excel\Addins\add-in ID;  and this works well.

2. when install for all users: the key is registered under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Office\Excel\Addins\add-in ID;  but the Addin does not show up in the "COM Add-ins" window, and does not show up in the Ribbon.

I wonder if there is any change in the MS Office 2016, which may be different on loading the Addins from the previous Office version?

Qiner

Thursday, January 04, 2018 5:51 PM