none
VS2019 gets worse and worse RRS feed

• Question

• Last time I let VS2019 do one of its automatic updates, it completely broke the "Debug" toolbar, or maybe it's the toolbars at large, in Visual Studio 2019.

Before somebody's 9 year old got into their dev folder and smashed the IDE, in "edit mode" there was always a big green arrow next to the word START.  Just next to that, grayed out in edit mode, were Pause/Stop/Restart buttons.  Clicking START would switch to DEBUG/RUN mode.  Before the mindbogglingly untested update was pushed out, doing so would switch the START button to CONTINUE.

Since Microsoft saw fit to push updates that either weren't tested by anyone at all or were deliberately engineered to break the IDE, now the DEBUG menu just isn't there at all in "edit mode" and pushing the START button may or may not bring it up.  Sometimes the CONTINUE button does indeed appear, sometimes it doesn't.  Sometimes there is no CONTINUE but there are PAUSE/STOP/RESTART.  Sometimes the START/CONTINUE button is replaced by a dropdown box where START/CONTINUE can be selected, sometimes there's just nothing there at all.

I first reset all my VS2019 settings to defaults, and everything worked okay for a little bit.  When I went back in and made less than all my own changes to the options - little things like Diagnostic Output, use spaces instead of tabs, don't use drag and drop text editing and don't follow links under any circumstances - these problems come back.

Thanks a pantload, Microsoft!  Obama would be proud.  You get a solid B for this epic fail.  No plus.

Tuesday, July 23, 2019 5:46 AM

Answers

• Hi Andrew B. Painter,

Thank you for reply.

According to your description, I have post this issue to product team, here is the link:

https://developercommunity.visualstudio.com/content/problem/659374/debug-button-shows-variable-in-the-toolbar.html

And then you could vote it and add comments with more info under it. After that, please be patient waiting for the response from the VS Product Team Engineers.

Thank you for impatience and understanding.

Best Regards,

Dylan

MSDN Community Support Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com

Wednesday, July 24, 2019 10:23 AM
  • Hi Andrew B. Painter,

Sorry for delay in reply.

If you want to build the project without VS IDE, we recommend you could download Msbuild Tool.

And please refer more about how to use: MSBuild command-line reference

Hope it could help you.

Best Regards,

Dylan

MSDN Community Support Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com

Tuesday, July 30, 2019 6:33 AM

All replies

• Hi Andrew B.Painter,

Thank you post it here.

According to your description, could you provide us what the project type and your version are? And we will test it in our side, if it would be reproduced, we will report to VS product team as soon as possible.

Look forward to your reply.

Best Regards,

Dylan

Tuesday, July 23, 2019 10:02 AM
  • It happens in all project types where the DEBUG TOOLBAR with START and CONTINUE and PAUSE and STOP and BREAKPOINTS IN CODE might be relevant.  At 0300, when I was losing my mind with this crap show while trying to debug several thousand lines of interrelated code with a few dozen breakpoints, I was working in a Console App in C# with a project that included a Windows Service which could be installed and controlled by the Console App.

VS Community 2019 v16.1.6 - like I said in the first post, it's the newest update that's broken VS.

As I said also, this is an intermittent issue.  It doesn't present immediately on launch.  I couldn't even hazard a guess at what combination of options or programming or debugging actions gets the problem to start.  When it does present, it doesn't go away even with an IDE restart.  Resetting all the IDE options to Fischer Price Mode (ie the Microsoft defaults) fixes it for a little while, but it will come back.

Tuesday, July 23, 2019 3:07 PM
  • Hi Andrew B. Painter,

Thank you for reply.

According to your description, I have post this issue to product team, here is the link:

https://developercommunity.visualstudio.com/content/problem/659374/debug-button-shows-variable-in-the-toolbar.html

And then you could vote it and add comments with more info under it. After that, please be patient waiting for the response from the VS Product Team Engineers.

Thank you for impatience and understanding.

Best Regards,

Dylan

Wednesday, July 24, 2019 10:23 AM
  • Well, thank you Dylan Zhu.  I was pretty out there with frustration, annoyance, and plain rage over the amount of time this IDE bug took out of my life.  You were totally professional as a forums moderator and focused on the issue rather than the emotional content.
    Thursday, July 25, 2019 2:24 PM
  • Hi Andrew B.Painter,

Thank you for reply.

I am glad to have your praise.

BTW, if you have other issues about debugger, please feel free to contact us, we will try our best to provide a solution as soon as possible.

Have a nice day.

Best Regards,

Dylan

Friday, July 26, 2019 5:40 AM
  • I think there's been some confusion here.  I won't unpropose the proposed answer, but I'm not calling this answered either.

Just got VS 2019 update to 16.2 - I was pretty excited about it for obvious reasons.  At the end it demanded a full system restart.  Just to be clear, this annoyed me in itself when done by what is essentially a word processor.  When my system came back up I saw why - that amateur-hour IncrediBuild thing was reactivated.

I have never used IncrediBuild.  When I first installed VS2019, I disabled IncrediBuild.  This time, while going through all the settings from this little piece of trash software, I can't disable it.  Under Agent->Preferences, then the Agent State field, On System Start-Up is locked in place to "Keep last Agent State."

Down under Tray Icon->General, in the System Startup field, all I can do is uncheck the SysTray Icon.

I'm really about as totally disinterested in exposing my dev environment to network interaction, or involving any 3rd Party garbage (other than the compiler) in my development process at all, as I am in being catheterized.  In fact my disinterest in the two things is equal.

From previous experience with these newer versions of Visual Studio I already know that to get rid of this mess I'm going to have to completely reinstall my operating system.  At that point:

I will mark this thread answered if you'll provide me a link where I can download the CLI compilers for C# and VC++ only along with documentation on command line switches required to effectively compile software without installing Visual Studio or any of the totally useless crap that comes with it.

Sunday, July 28, 2019 3:00 PM
  • Hi Andrew B. Painter,

Sorry for delay in reply.

If you want to build the project without VS IDE, we recommend you could download Msbuild Tool.

And please refer more about how to use: MSBuild command-line reference

Hope it could help you.

Best Regards,

Dylan

Tuesday, July 30, 2019 6:33 AM