none
Create Silverlight custom control RRS feed

• Question

• I am using LightSwitch 2012 and I am following the instructions for creating a Silverlight custom control for printing found in the following Blog...  Printing from Lightswitch 

I get up to the point in the instructions where it says  "If you have Microsoft Expression Blend installed, you can right-click on the Invoice.xaml file and select Open in Expression Blend…"

When I do that I get the following message...

The instructions then say "If you get the message above, click Close, it wont affect anything." I do get that message however, when I click close, Blend does open but all functions in the Assets Panel are disbled... I can't grab a Data Grid and drop it onto the design surface like the instructions say to do.  I can't really do anything other than look at the MarkUp code that was passed into Blend from LightSwitch but all design functions in blend are disabled and it has the Project name "PrintInvoice" flagged as an unsupported project. 

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Friday, January 11, 2013 2:41 AM

Answers

• I got the custom control working but I had to deviate from the listed instructions a bit.  If I was more experienced I probably could have gotten it working a lot sooner. 

If anyone is interested in seeing where I had to deviate from the instructions found on the blog just let me know and I'll be happy to share what I had to do. 

bTw... It was a great article and the Custom Control works perfectly.  Whoever Michael is I owe him a thank you.

Thank you Michael

Friday, January 11, 2013 3:07 PM

All replies

• So am I reading what I think I'm reading in all my Google searches... the version of Blend included with Visual Studio 2012 Professional is only supported on the Windows 8 platform?  Really? 

Friday, January 11, 2013 11:46 AM
  • I got the custom control working but I had to deviate from the listed instructions a bit.  If I was more experienced I probably could have gotten it working a lot sooner. 

If anyone is interested in seeing where I had to deviate from the instructions found on the blog just let me know and I'll be happy to share what I had to do. 

bTw... It was a great article and the Custom Control works perfectly.  Whoever Michael is I owe him a thank you.

Thank you Michael

Friday, January 11, 2013 3:07 PM

Thank you Michael

You're welcome :)

The instructions worked fine 2 years ago when I wrote them :) The problem is things change. I write this stuff in my free time so I have to decide, do I update past articles or do I write new ones? I just write new ones.

You can see most of my articles on Silverlight Custom Controls at this link:

http://lightswitchhelpwebsite.com/Blog/tabid/61/tagid/2/Custom-Controls.aspx

I also have a book.

The Visual Studio LightSwitch Marketplace

http://LightSwitchHelpWebsite.com

Saturday, January 12, 2013 5:22 PM
  • I already bookmarked your blog.  The assistance you provide, (as do many others in this forum) is a lifesaver to those of us new to this type of programming.  It is only right that your contributions be recognized by those who benefit by your efforts. 

Thanks again :)

Sunday, January 13, 2013 1:41 AM