What's required after changing computer name where TFS 2013 Express is installed? RRS feed

• Question

• I've been unsuccessfully reading some articles (including this one) about what to do after renaming a computer having Team Foundation Server already installed.

None of them seems to apply to TFS 2013 Express. I even can't find the tool TfsAdminUtil on my machine.

What do I need to do to have TFS 2013 Express continue to work on a renamed machine?

Background: I have created a single VM with all development tools installed. For each of my clients I now want to create a clone and rename the host name of the clone in System Properties appropriately, so I can have several of these machines running at the same time, if required.

Microsoft Marketing should care for customer feedback on their consumer products, e.g. Windows & Office.

Have had Windows 8 …  went back to Windows 7.

• Edited by BetterToday Wednesday, January 29, 2014 8:32 PM
    Wednesday, January 29, 2014 8:31 PM

Answers

• Thanks, I've now created a new issue at Connect.

Anyone facing the same problem may vote there.

Microsoft Marketing should care for customer feedback on their consumer products, e.g. Windows & Office.

Wednesday, February 5, 2014 2:16 PM

All replies

• Hi BT, 

Thanks for your post.

In the Later version of TFS Server(TFS 2010, 2012 and 2013), there’s a new tool TFSConfig instead of TFSAdminUtil tool. For this TFSConfig tool in TFS 2013, please refer to: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms253116(v=vs.120).aspx.

There’s a lot of dependencies on a server name, it’s not easy to do. We suggest you follow the steps in this document to move TFS Server from one hardware to another to achieve that. You can refer to the discussions in this post: http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/vstudio/en-US/de22dc10-127a-45dc-b958-408a703a0d3a/how-to-rename-the-computer-name-of-a-tfs-and-a-sharepoint-servers?forum=tfsadmin.   

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Thursday, January 30, 2014 6:48 AM
  • Thank you for your informative reply.

Would it be possible to suggest to the Windows OS team to add a hook to the host name rename operation in System Properties, so TFS an other server related software can add a callback function to that in order to automatically reconfigure itself?

Or would it make sense to suggest to the TFS team to add a command to the TFSConfig tool (or the GUI administration tool) to perform all required steps after a host machine name has been altered? (E.g. TFSConfig ChangeServerName "OldHostName" "NewHostName")

Thursday, January 30, 2014 12:07 PM
  • Hi BT,

Thanks for your reply.

I think the second way will be better. For this second way, please submit it to User Voice site at: http://visualstudio.uservoice.com/forums/121579-visual-studio. Microsoft engineers will evaluate them seriously.

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Friday, January 31, 2014 12:23 AM
  • That's bad.

I've spent all my votes (11, isn't it?)  years ago on Visual Studio already. UserVoice is just a lame duck; a dust bin to throw away ideas to be forgotton. And a quick way to silence customers by giving them just 11 votes.

Isn't there any direct way to suggest the above suggestions to someone at MS who is actually going to deal with them? Something similar to Connect?

• Edited by BetterToday Friday, January 31, 2014 10:54 AM
    Friday, January 31, 2014 10:52 AM
  • Hi BT,

Thanks for your reply.

Yes, you can submit it to Microsoft Connect Feedback portal at: https://connect.microsoft.com/VisualStudio if you want.

• Marked as answer by BetterToday Wednesday, February 5, 2014 2:42 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by John QiaoModerator Thursday, February 6, 2014 6:38 AM
    Monday, February 3, 2014 2:34 AM
  • Thanks, I've now created a new issue at Connect.

Anyone facing the same problem may vote there.

Wednesday, February 5, 2014 2:16 PM