none
Visual Studio 2012 - display full path of current file

Question

• In Visual Studio 2010, I just installed the "Where Am I" extension from Wolfbyte, and the full file path was displayed at the bottom of the Editor Pane. This extension doesn't seem to be available for 2012. I downloaded the extension from github, but I have no knowledge of creating/installing extensions aside from using the package manager. Can any tell me one or more of these things:

• If there's a built-in way to show the full path to your current file, how do I turn it on?
      • Is there an extension for VS 2012 to help with this?
      • Maybe I can just build and use the free Wolfbyte extension - from a solution, how do I generate a Visual Studio extension?
    I apologize that this seems to be in the wrong forum category. Next question - how do I move my post to the proper category?
    Wednesday, October 17, 2012 6:31 PM

Answers

• There is no such built in ability which is probably why the person wrote the extension.

You can build it locally but you likely need to install the 2012 SDK first (http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=30668). Also you likely need to modify the extension to declare that it is installable in 2012, you do that by editing the vsixmanifest to state that. The format changed between 2010 and 2012 so if you try and load a 2010 version in VS it will open in an XML view instead of the designer. That is fine, you can just modify the XML.

Ryan

Thursday, October 18, 2012 3:03 PM

All replies

• There is no such built in ability which is probably why the person wrote the extension.

You can build it locally but you likely need to install the 2012 SDK first (http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=30668). Also you likely need to modify the extension to declare that it is installable in 2012, you do that by editing the vsixmanifest to state that. The format changed between 2010 and 2012 so if you try and load a 2010 version in VS it will open in an XML view instead of the designer. That is fine, you can just modify the XML.

Ryan

Thursday, October 18, 2012 3:03 PM
  • Just to expand on Ryan Molden's response, creating the extension is simple once you have the vsixmanifest schema correct for the version you're using (VS2010 vs VS2012)

By installing the VS 2012 SDK, you're given a new project type, "Visual Studio Package" in the "Other Project Types" section of your installed templates.

Creating extension installer is as simple as building the project solution. 

Monday, October 22, 2012 4:18 AM