Distinguish between Barcode reader and standart keyboard RRS feed

• Question

• I'm creating an application in vb.net 2013 , where i need to
    implement a way to read from barcode readers. I want that my application
    supports USB barcode readers.
    I've read somewhere that most of barcode readers should be treated like
    simple keyboards.

But this is the problem.

On my Main form , i have several textboxes.

One of them is Barcode Textbox , where a user can write the barcode manually from keyboard, or can read from barcode reader.

On other textboxes , only manual write from keyboard should be permitted and not from barcode reader.

So is there a way to make this possible ?

Thank you !

Monday, January 25, 2016 4:38 AM

Answers

All replies

• On other textboxes , only manual write from keyboard should be permitted and not from barcode reader.

When a barcode scanner is configured as a keyboard wedge then the purpose of that configuration is to make it look exactly like keyboard entry, so it is unlikely that you can make the distinction you want.  

If your barcode scanner supports a different form of configuration you get full control over when it is or isn't available.

Keyboard wedge is easy to implement into your application because no special code is required.  But that simplicity means you lose some control. You need to select the device and the configuration that best suits your purposes.

Your scanner device configuration usually involves leading and trailing characters included with any scan.  You could test the text entry in those other textboxes to see if those characters mark the entry as a scan.
    • Edited by Acamar Monday, January 25, 2016 5:59 AM sp
    Monday, January 25, 2016 5:58 AM
  • On other textboxes , only manual write from keyboard should be permitted and not from barcode reader.

When a barcode scanner is configured as a keyboard wedge then the purpose of that configuration is to make it look exactly like keyboard entry, so it is unlikely that you can make the distinction you want.  

If your barcode scanner supports a different form of configuration you get full control over when it is or isn't available.

Keyboard wedge is easy to implement into your application because no special code is required.  But that simplicity means you lose some control. You need to select the device and the configuration that best suits your purposes.

Your scanner device configuration usually involves leading and trailing characters included with any scan.  You could test the text entry in those other textboxes to see if those characters mark the entry as a scan.

Maybe is a misunderstand.

I have not configured the barcode reader as a keyboard.

Actually I haven't done any configuration. I've just connected it on a usb port nad this is all I've done.

But I've read that usually a barcode reader is configured by the system as a simple keyboard.

Sorry , can this be a help for me  : http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=42081

I mean to get full control over barcode reader ?

If yes , where can I read more if you know ?

Thank you !

Monday, January 25, 2016 7:11 PM
  • Actually I haven't done any configuration. I've just connected it on a usb port nad this is all I've done.

Whether you have already done it or not, the situation is the same - a barcode reader configured as keyboard wedge will not give you the option of determining where the data is coming from unless, perhaps, you can somehow identify that data by setting up the device to include identifying header/trailer characters.

The software that you refer to has nothing to do with managing or configuring your device. That software will be provided by the device manufacturer.

Monday, January 25, 2016 8:54 PM
  • Actually I haven't done any configuration. I've just connected it on a usb port nad this is all I've done.

Whether you have already done it or not, the situation is the same - a barcode reader configured as keyboard wedge will not give you the option of determining where the data is coming from unless, perhaps, you can somehow identify that data by setting up the device to include identifying header/trailer characters.

The software that you refer to has nothing to do with managing or configuring your device. That software will be provided by the device manufacturer.

I've read that the software in that link   http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=42081 is a free library from Microsoft for managing several devices on .net languages , like Barcode readers  etc. I'm not asking for specific software offered by Device's manufacturer. I'm asking about managing them on my vb.net program. Anyway , all the USB barcode readers that I have tested are automatically known by operating system and have no other software to install.So I'm thinking if the tool from Microsoft can help me to manage these kind of devices on a .NET language. This article https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee406171(v=winembedded.4).aspx#Q1 says that the library is used for Barcode readers. But I can't find a sample or tutorial how can I use it.
    Monday, January 25, 2016 11:28 PM
  • I've read that the software in that link   http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=42081 is a free library from Microsoft for managing several devices on .net languages , like Barcode readers  etc.

If you want information about that software you need to ask about it at the right place:

https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/vstudio/en-US/home?forum=netfxbcl

If those other barcode readers did not require the installation of software provided by the manufacturer then they were installed as a keyboard wedge, which seems to be unsuitable for your requirement.  But in any case what's important is how your barcode reader functions.  If you want to be able to distinguish between keyboard and reader entry then you should not use a wedge.

Tuesday, January 26, 2016 1:10 AM