none
VS2015 Busy… waiting for internal operation to complete -> what is it? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I’ve recently upgraded to Visual Studio 2015.
    Since that I from time to time (to often) I encounter a problem building my solution.
    The build hangs and from the Notification Area a Bubble says:

>Microsoft Visual Studio is Busy
    >Microsoft Visual Studio is waiting for an internal operation to complete.
    >If you regularly encounter this delay during normal usage,
    >please report this problem to Microsoft

What is it what 'internal operation' that is Visual Studio waiting for?
    How can I determine what it is?

I’ve also already removed all unused Extensions I installed, there are only some left I really need (Resharper, VisualSVN) and the default from Microsoft on installation … and I don’t really want to play around with uninstalling and installing and waste my time without any hints to concrete origin.

I’ve also started Visual Studio with /log enabeled and the last entry seems to be:

<entry>
        <record>497</record>
        <time>2015/10/30 13:19:14.043</time>
        <type>Information</type>
        <source>VisualStudio</source>
        <description>Begin package load [Undo Package]</description>
        <guid>{1D76B2E0-F11B-11D2-AFC3-00105A9991EF}</guid>
      </entry>
      <entry>
        <record>498</record>
        <time>2015/10/30 13:19:14.043</time>
        <type>Information</type>
        <source>VisualStudio</source>
        <description>End package load [Undo Package]</description>
        <guid>{1D76B2E0-F11B-11D2-AFC3-00105A9991EF}</guid>
      </entry> 

But this helps me not much … I’m still here with the question: what internal operation is causing the studio to wait.

During analysis (not only of this one problem  … but like a process spawned by VS using a port my Application I want to debug would need …) I noticed some processes of VS with noticeable memory/cpu/port  consumption witch I don’t understand (need?):

vstest.discoveryengine.x86.exe
    TE.ProcessHost.Managed.exe
    MSBuild.exe (there are many of them … thought this is not ”possible”)
    Microsoft.Alm.Shared.Remoting.RemoteContainer.dll

I’m not sure if there is a concrete connection between these Processes and the problem, but …

… if someone knows how to get more info about what VS15 is waiting for internally, it would be appreciated very much.

Edit Info:
    Microsoft Visual Studio Professional 2015
    Version 14.0.23107.0 D14REL
    Microsoft .NET Framework
    Version 4.6.00081
    Installed Version: Professional

Yes, it also occurs on other users machines (same Solution).
    Killing with TaskManager -> Start VS15 + Build -> results in Hang again ...
    Killing with TaskManager -> Start VS15 +  Clean Solution + Build --> results in Hang again ...

• Edited by PaulEsn Wednesday, November 4, 2015 6:28 PM
    Wednesday, November 4, 2015 3:18 PM

All replies

• Hi PaulEsn,

What type of project? Is this problem is related to one specific solution or for all solutions in Visual Studio 2015?

If for all solutions in Visual Studio, please use Process Monitor to watch real-time file system, Registry and process/thread activity. You can get it from

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-ie/sysinternals/bb896645.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

If just for one specific solution, please try with following steps.

1. Please delete the .suo file in solution folder which save all user settings for this solution.
    2. Create a new solution with the same name and then move the project and project files into the new solution with add "Existing Items" way. Please take a backup before this step.
    3. If there multiple project in the solution, please do the step 2 to confirm which project causes this problem.
    4. Please remove NuGet packages in this solution one by one to make sure which package lead to this problem.

Best Regards,
    Weiwei

Thursday, November 5, 2015 6:36 AM
  • I don't know project, as I compile the whole Solution and it stucks without seeing it now .. (output window is hidden behind error/warning List -> changed this to hopefully see it next time)

It happens only with this solution (because I only migrated this solution because of the problem).
    The solution contains of Winforms and library projects.

It seems sometime help: killing the process tree & manually cleaning the sln output + suo.

No NuGet within the Sln.

Isn't there a way to get info what "internal operation" VS2015 is waiting for?

Maybe next time I'll retry a recreation of SLN ... but there are many Projects within the sln ... :(
    So I would like to avoid this as I think of missing to port some settings ...

As it happens not allways it will take some time to try next approaches and than to verify.

Monday, November 9, 2015 10:24 PM
  • Hi PaulEsn,

"Internal Operation" is a common message for Visual Studio. We just can use "Devenv /log Path\NameOfLogFile" command to log all operations when you operate Visual Studio. Please provide the whole logs to OneDrive and share the link here.

>>As it happens not allways it will take some time to try next approaches and than to verify.

Since it happens not always and if you need more time to try different method  to verify this problem, would you mind changing this thread to be a discussion thread?

But if you have more information after you verifying, please feel free to change the issue type back to Question by opening the Options list at the top of the post editor window, and changing the type.

Best Regards,
    Weiwei

Tuesday, November 10, 2015 2:49 AM
  • Visual Studio Logs (not from the last):
    VS_Logs.xml

Killing with TaskManager Process Tree + Clean Solution manually + Delete .suo -> Start VS15 + Build -> OK
    .suo  is D:\SOLUTIONFOLDER\.vs\SolutionName\v14\.suo

Last Time I see following as last lines in Output (is there a way to write output to file parallel to the window?)
    D:\SOLUTIONFOLDER\bin\Debug\SomeDll.dll
    1>  Running Code Analysis...

• Edited by PaulEsn Tuesday, November 10, 2015 3:02 PM
    Tuesday, November 10, 2015 3:01 PM
  • Hi PaulEsn,

We have make sure this problem is not related to Visual Studio 2015, it is related to this specific solution.

I suggest you create a new blank solution with Visual Studio 2015 and then remove the Winforms and library projects to the new solution one by one. We needn't remove every project files which will take a long time. Please add "Exiting Project" to the new solution, which will save time.

When you add one project, please build it once, which can help us confirm which project causes this problem.

According to the message in Output window, it seems run code analysis which will take sometime. Please disable it in Project's Properties window. (Right-click project -> Properties -> Code Analysis -> Uncheck "Enable Code Analysis on Build").

Best Regards,
    Weiwei

Wednesday, November 11, 2015 2:29 AM
  • Ok, I'll plan to do this tomorrow or on Monday.

When you add one project, please build it once, which can help us confirm which project causes this problem.

As it not occurs on every build, how do we know on one successful build that it wil work in the future :)

Uncheck "Enable Code Analysis on Build").

I was also thinking of it ... but turning off will stop me from getting feedback about ugly code :(

Thursday, November 12, 2015 7:19 PM
  • Hi PaulEsn,

What is the tested result for above steps?

If possible, please provide a sample project which has this problem to OneDrive and share the link here. We can try your project to reproduce your problem and figure out the source reason.

Best Regards,
    Weiwei

Monday, November 16, 2015 1:14 AM
  • Oh, come on! This seems like a lot of work to deal with VS bugs. How about just fixing them?
    Sunday, September 4, 2016 8:11 PM
  • Damn right you are... I still have this busy crap going on although I have all the latest updates, etc... Microsoft, please get your stuff together!
    Saturday, November 4, 2017 2:01 AM