none
Microsoft Test Manager message while recording steps RRS feed

• Question

• I'm created a test case with 5 steps. 3 out of the 5 tests have Expected Result. While recording the tests, I followed the steps as per the action, and made sure that the expected result was met. Only after that, I passed the step, and moved on to the next step. However, I got the message saying:

"You have not marked this step while recording. You will not be able to play up to this step during playback."

And after I was done recording the steps and ran it the second time, it just skipped the steps with the message above. Not sure what I am doing wrong that I'm getting the message. I know it is related to Expected Result, because I don't seem to get the message when I don't put anything on the Expected Result.

Any help, greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Friday, February 18, 2011 5:42 PM

Answers

• Hi,

If you are passing the step and getting this error, my guess is that you clicked on the next step and then passed the previous step. 

If you get the warning "You have not marked this step while recording. You will not be able to play up to this step during playback.", that means that the recording will not stop at  that point for that step and will continue until the next step is marked as pass/fail.

If you dont put anything in the expected result, that step will never be recorded and hence no warning.

Please refer http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd286647.aspx

Perform the steps of the test case and mark each step with a result. Use the drop-down arrow to the right of the step and select either Pass or Fail.

The words Currently Recording appear in the title bar of each application that is being recorded. An action recording section, presented as a blue indicator, is displayed to the right of the test. The blue indicator is divided into individual sections that correspond to the steps of your test.

Note Note

If you do not mark each test step as either passed or failed, then the action recording section can span several test steps. It includes all unmarked test steps since the last step that was marked as passed or failed.

Thanks,

Anuj

Friday, February 18, 2011 6:54 PM

All replies

• Hi,

If you are passing the step and getting this error, my guess is that you clicked on the next step and then passed the previous step. 

If you get the warning "You have not marked this step while recording. You will not be able to play up to this step during playback.", that means that the recording will not stop at  that point for that step and will continue until the next step is marked as pass/fail.

If you dont put anything in the expected result, that step will never be recorded and hence no warning.

Perform the steps of the test case and mark each step with a result. Use the drop-down arrow to the right of the step and select either Pass or Fail.

The words Currently Recording appear in the title bar of each application that is being recorded. An action recording section, presented as a blue indicator, is displayed to the right of the test. The blue indicator is divided into individual sections that correspond to the steps of your test.

Note Note

If you do not mark each test step as either passed or failed, then the action recording section can span several test steps. It includes all unmarked test steps since the last step that was marked as passed or failed.

Thanks,

Anuj

Friday, February 18, 2011 6:54 PM
  • I have expected results for each step

I have action recording set and I have a desktop .adp application which is an Access application and I have selected that application under all applciations

I marked the step as passed before moving on to next step and this still gave me the error stating "You have not marked this step while recording. You will not be able to play up to this step during playback."

Please help !

Thursday, March 10, 2011 6:40 PM
  • If you are passing the step and getting this error, my guess is that you clicked on the next step and then passed the previous step.

Thanks

Anuj

Thursday, March 10, 2011 6:46 PM
  • No I record the first step and see the blue mark next to the step and then click pass step then it moves to the next step, i record click mark pass step and then go to the 3rd step at which time 1st step shows alert icon stating "You have not marked this step while recording. You will not be able to play up to this step during playback."

also I do see the currently recording message on top

It gives me the message do you want to overwrite last recording. The video is recorded too but I cant play back my actions. Please help !

Thursday, March 10, 2011 6:50 PM
  • Hi,

I have created an article so you can refer to it to see if you find any help by following all the steps http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/microsoft-test-manager-action-recording-and-playback.aspx

Thanks,

Anuj

Thursday, March 10, 2011 9:49 PM
  • Hi Anuj,

I received my reply:

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/vsmantest/thread/08ebfbd8-fc0d-4412-a508-d7f665a00e4a

MS Access is not supported by MTM or VSTS

Thank you !!!

• Proposed as answer by TestMTM Thursday, March 10, 2011 9:54 PM
    Thursday, March 10, 2011 9:54 PM
  • Hi,

Note Note

Thanks,

Anuj

What an absolutely useless answer!
    Wednesday, November 7, 2012 1:58 PM
  • That works unless it requires the mouse to be hovered over a command to open the menu.  If you move the mouse to pass the open test, the window closes and you cannot go on to select a control on the hover menu.  If I do it all in one step, it allows me to continue recording with no yellow warning sign.  When I replay it, the hover window does not open and the playback stops due to a hidden control error.  Stuck there.  What next.  I tried to click on the text to force it to go to the control but that fails with an error.  What's the trick to this?
    Thursday, April 11, 2013 10:51 PM