none
MS Visual Basic Powerpacks 10.0 failed to installed on Windows 7 Prof

Question

• I publish a application on Windows 8 using Visual Studio 2012 Prof.  When I attempt to install on Windows 7 Prof using Setup I get error: MS Visual Basic Powerpacks 10.0 failed to install.  See the setup log file located at: C\users\edward\appdata\local\temp\vsdc05a.tmp\install.log

But I can find a file with that name.  I have attempted several times but no such file on the system.  Questions:  (1)  Have anyone experience this problem.  (2)  How do I determined what is the problem without the file?

ecb

Tuesday, April 23, 2013 9:44 PM

All replies

• Ed,

I think you know that I don't have any of the stuff you have - including the operating system - but the first thing that comes to mind is that you've not specifically instructed your program to "copy this reference to output".

In Solution Explorer, double-click on "My Project" then click the tab for "References". Look through that list carefully and see if one of them shows somethng about Powerpacks. If so (and it should be there and may be more than one), click it. When you do, look at the properties and see if "Copy To Output" is set to true or false. If it's set to false, set it to true then rebuild your project.

The \bin\Release folder should now show the .dll files needed.

I won't promise this is the cause but it's the first thing I'd at least check.

Please call me Frank :)

Tuesday, April 23, 2013 9:50 PM
  • Frank, thank for your input.  I did follow your suggestion and I did click on the copy to output and turn it to TRUE and a republish the application.  I stated rebuild but I do not know what that mean so I publish the application as I did before and attempt to install on the Windows 7 system and I receive the same error and I still can find the install log file.  You mention a \bin\release folder.  I Am suppose to find a bin/release folder on the windows 7 system or on the windows 8 system where I did the publish?  Also am I suppose to transport some file over to the windows 7 system other than the three files that is created from the publish?  This my first time attempting a publish and I do not know the different between a BUILD and PUBLISH.  I am still confused on what to carry over to the windows 7 systerm.

ecb

Wednesday, April 24, 2013 4:51 PM
  • Frank, thank for your input.  I did follow your suggestion and I did click on the copy to output and turn it to TRUE and a republish the application.  I stated rebuild but I do not know what that mean so I publish the application as I did before and attempt to install on the Windows 7 system and I receive the same error and I still can find the install log file.  You mention a \bin\release folder.  I Am suppose to find a bin/release folder on the windows 7 system or on the windows 8 system where I did the publish?  Also am I suppose to transport some file over to the windows 7 system other than the three files that is created from the publish?  This my first time attempting a publish and I do not know the different between a BUILD and PUBLISH.  I am still confused on what to carry over to the windows 7 systerm.

ecb

That part I can't help with because of a number of things, including that I don't have what you have and also I use a third-party installer, not the built-in one.

The problem was definitely the "copy to output" being set to false, so hopefully someone else can help you with the rest of it. It was missing one or more .dll files and of course that's all that it takes to crash the user's program the instant he tries to use it.

Hang in there - I feel sure that others here can take it the rest of the way. :)

Wednesday, April 24, 2013 4:56 PM
  • Frank, thanks you got me closer to my problem.  When I publish three (3) files were created:  (1) Application Files File Type File Folder,  (2) Budget File Type ClickOnce Application.  (3)  Setup File Type Application.  I was clicking on the SETUP when I get the errors.  But when I click on Budget the File Type ClickOnce Application is seams to work.  At least it bring up my first screen on my application so I am much closer to what I want with you advise.  I still have problems but you get me closer.  Thanks very much.  I remember you pulling me out of the file many months ago when I first started with Visual Basic.  Thanks very much.  I guess I am not suppose to click on the setup file.  I am still confused.  Thanks Again.

ecb

Wednesday, April 24, 2013 5:11 PM
  • Frank, thanks you got me closer to my problem.  When I publish three (3) files were created:  (1) Application Files File Type File Folder,  (2) Budget File Type ClickOnce Application.  (3)  Setup File Type Application.  I was clicking on the SETUP when I get the errors.  But when I click on Budget the File Type ClickOnce Application is seams to work.  At least it bring up my first screen on my application so I am much closer to what I want with you advise.  I still have problems but you get me closer.  Thanks very much.  I remember you pulling me out of the file many months ago when I first started with Visual Basic.  Thanks very much.  I guess I am not suppose to click on the setup file.  I am still confused.  Thanks Again.

ecb

I'm glad it helped. :)

Let's see if someone else can carry the ball to the goal line. You're close!

Wednesday, April 24, 2013 5:57 PM
  • I am still attempting to understand the process.  Can someone please answer the following question.  When I publish the Application,  Visual Studio Prof. 2012 generate three files:

Application Files          File Type  Folder

Budget                        File Type ClickOnce Application

Setup                          File Type Application

Which one of these should I click to install on another windows?  If more one than please state in what sequence.

Thanks.  Any advise would be appreciated.

ecb

Thursday, April 25, 2013 12:54 AM