none
How to restore Visual Studio file associations?

Question

• An uninstall of a previous version of Visual Studio,happen to unregister VS 2005 file extensions. I've tried the "Restore File Associations" button in Tools->Options->General, but no effect.And then, i tried to Repair the whole product, but no effect again, Who know why? And, how to resolve this issue?

Saturday, October 6, 2007 12:15 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi DRM55,

In the registry, under HKLM\Software\Microsoft\VisualStudio\8.0\ShellFileAssociations, you’ll find a listing of all the extensions Visual Studio 2005 cares about. For more details, please visit: What does that Restore File Associations button do on the Tools-Options-Environment page?. You can manually check the registry keys mentioned in the article.

And after visual studio repair the registry keys, you may need to restart visual studio or even reboot your PC.

Hope this helps!

Thanks!

Monday, October 8, 2007 9:31 AM
  • I have the opposite problem.  I have Visual Studio installed and would like to remove all file associations that it has created.  Is there a way to do this without manually changing each one?  It's a real pain having VS open when all I want to do is edit a source file.
    Thanks,
    Guy
    Thursday, November 8, 2007 2:47 PM