none
Exception of type 'System.Data.Design.InternalException' thrown when updating project from .Net 4.6 to .Net 4.6.1 RRS feed

• Question

• I have a C#/WPF project targeting .Net 4.6 (using Visual Studio 2015 Update 3). When I try to upgrade the project from .Net 4.6 to .Net 4.6.1 or or .Net 4.6.2 (by going to the Project Properties), I suddeny get this error in every single .XSD file in the project:

Custom tool error: Failed to generate code. Failed to generate code.
    Exception of type 'System.Data.Design.InternalException' was thrown.
    Exception of type 'System.Data.Design.InternalException' was
     thrown. TrackerClient C:\Users\Fabs-LenovoY70\Source\Workspaces\Tracker\Tracker\TrackerClient\clientsDataSet.xsd 1

Any ideas? As soon as I switch back to .Net 4.6 everything is fine again.
    Thanks guys...

Fabricio Rodriguez - Pretoria, South Africa

• Edited by Fabs1977 Monday, August 8, 2016 8:26 AM
    Monday, August 8, 2016 8:22 AM

Answers

• It appears that the issue is with the custom tool attached to the .xsd file in your solution. After you upgrade right click the xsd file and Run Custom Tool to regenerate whatever code it needed to generate.  If that doesn't resolve your issue then identify the tool that is being run (Properties).
    • Proposed as answer by Hart Wang Tuesday, August 9, 2016 4:40 AM
    • Marked as answer by Fabs1977 Tuesday, August 9, 2016 5:06 PM
    Monday, August 8, 2016 2:09 PM

All replies

• It appears that the issue is with the custom tool attached to the .xsd file in your solution. After you upgrade right click the xsd file and Run Custom Tool to regenerate whatever code it needed to generate.  If that doesn't resolve your issue then identify the tool that is being run (Properties).
    • Marked as answer by Fabs1977 Tuesday, August 9, 2016 5:06 PM
    Monday, August 8, 2016 2:09 PM
  • Hi,

I agree with CoolDadTx.

For your question. Here is a similar solution.

How to solve the exception:

1.Right click your Dataset in the project explorer, choose "Run Custom Tool" and select the Text Editor.

2.Once opened your dataset in a text editor, go through it until you find a "Connection" node.

3.the "connection" node has a "ConnectionStringObject" attribute that points to the old Database

connection string.

4.Change that connection string to the appropriate one that works.

5.Save your changes, it should work now.

If your issue has been resolved, please remember to close your thread by marking useful posts as answer.

Your cooperation will be grateful.

Best Regards,

Hart

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place. Click HERE to participate the survey.

Tuesday, August 9, 2016 3:01 AM
  • Thank you!

Fabricio Rodriguez - Pretoria, South Africa

Tuesday, August 9, 2016 5:07 PM