none
Azure Stack Dev Kit (ASDK): Networking

Question

• Hi,

In the ASDK documentation for planning deployment it denotes the following:

Switch

One available port on a switch for the development kit machine.

The development kit machine supports connecting to a switch access port or trunk port. No specialized features are required on the switch. If you are using a trunk port or if you need to configure a VLAN ID, you have to provide the VLAN ID as a deployment parameter.

#1Question: How does one include the VLAN ID during deployment and please give example? I've seen older screenshots where one could enter VLAN ID in the deployment wizard, but not there in 1811 and newer. One of the servers I've been trying to deploy is on a trunk port. Which I've included the VLAN ID on the cloudbuild host interface prior to deployment; still yet only to see the deployment fail due to no internet connectivity.

DHCP

Make sure there is a DHCP server available on the network that the NIC connects to. If DHCP is not available, you must prepare an additional static IPv4 network besides the one used by host. You must provide that IP address and gateway as a deployment parameter.

#2 Question: What does this mean? If I was to guess, you'd first need to configure the switch port in trunk mode; which then require answers to question #1.

REQUEST:

Is there or can we get a published detailed network illustration of the whole ASDK design?

Mr Jazze

Thursday, March 7, 2019 4:57 PM

All replies

• Does anyone have any feedback on these questions? I'd really like to get this deployment nailed with this 3rd try.

Mr Jazze

Saturday, March 9, 2019 12:27 AM
  • I am following up with these questions, or trying to find the proper people to answer them. 

Unfortunately there is not currently a detailed network diagram for the ASDK. There are some others who have asked for one, and I will pass this feedback / request along. I would love to have one as well :)

Tuesday, March 12, 2019 4:40 AM
  • @TravisCragg_MSFT,

Do you have an update?

I've tried a 4th time to deploy using only DHCP address assignments and it still fails.

Mr Jazze

Friday, March 15, 2019 8:14 PM
  • It seems like your question #1 is blocking you from everything else. I am following up specifically with that for right now. 
    Monday, March 18, 2019 10:49 PM
  • The UI no longer has a way to configure a VLAN, you can use the powershell parameter PublicVlanId:

.\InstallAzureStackPOC.ps1 -Verbose -PublicVLan 305

The BGPNAT VM is no longer a part of the ASDK as of 1902, and that was used to do most of the networking configurations. Now the ASDK will get most of its Networking configuration from the Host machine, so you will need to configure most of the networking there. 

Wednesday, March 27, 2019 9:58 PM
  • I appreciate the follow-up, but it yields more questions. First and foremost, has this install method been vetted? There is allot of effort involved in downloading, preparing and installing ASDK (6-10 hours) only to result in failures.

Now unless I'm mistaken, BGPNAT role was implemented on the host with 1901 and as there is very little to no information on how ASDK networking is done. When you say "you will need to configure most of networking there" can you elaborate?

In the meantime, I will re-re-re-re-redeploy (5th attempt for those keeping track).

Mr Jazze

Thursday, March 28, 2019 2:50 AM
  • I understand your frustrations, and I am doing what I can to get some clarity on this, and hopefully some documentation.
    Thursday, March 28, 2019 7:01 PM
  • Any update on this maybe? :)
    Friday, April 5, 2019 3:06 PM
  • Here is my two cents. I'm not following through with the recommendation of using a powershell parameter to specify the public vlanid, because the switch does not exist. If you run "help .\InstallAzureStackPOC.ps1" from script path, you will see there is no such parameter.

@TravisCragg_MSFT,

I appreciate your efforts in seeking answers to our issues, however, from my review of several of your statements they're either off-base or pointless. I'm sure MS values our evaluation of this product as it offers insight into Azure Stack Integration development and we as well would like to gain value. I can safely say after all my efforts over past few months to getting a fully deployed, working, stable instance(s) of ASDK there are issues needing to be seriously addressed; which I don't believe is the case. Anyone have opposing thoughts on this? Please speak freely. 

Mr Jazze

Friday, April 5, 2019 5:08 PM
  • Hey @MrJazze,

Ran into this same issue with two different customers....

Customer 1 was able to workaround this limitation by VLAN tagging on the access switch port instead of the server itself.  Once this one done the installation went off without an issue.  :)

Customer 2 is unable to VLAN tag on the switch port due to security policy, they are still stuck as there is no way to pass the necessary VLAN ID to the newer versions of the ASDK install.  :(

• Edited by Sam Murcio Tuesday, May 14, 2019 6:03 PM
    Tuesday, May 14, 2019 6:03 PM