files opened from the debugger are all lower case RRS feed

• Question

• I am using Visual Pro, C++ 2005, on XP pro SP2
    Every time I debug a program, and have the debugger open source files (they are not part of the project, the project was created by visual for the debugging session), it opens them with a filename that is all lower case, no matter what the actual case of the file is -e.g. stepping through a function in mySourceFile.cpp will open mysourcefile.cpp (the debug symbols do not keep track of the case ?).
    Well, the problem starts coming if I modify said file in the IDE: it will actually save the file with the lowercase filename (effectively changing the case, not the same for the source control I use...).
    Manually opening the file from the IDE beforehand fixes the problem, but is not very practical, not to mention error-prone.

I found an instance of a report for that problem on a random blog, but no workaround.

IIRC, Visual Pro 2003 or earlier did not behave that way.

Any help would be appreciated.
    Wednesday, December 13, 2006 2:00 PM

Answers

All replies

• This is not much help, but I noticed that when compiling with /ZI (which was what my project used), error messages were using lowercase filenames, whereas with /Zi they were using the actual case. This did not help the IDE open files with the proper case inside the debugger though. Yes, I know, shooting in the dark.
    Monday, January 8, 2007 4:02 PM
  •  

This issue is described on Microsoft support here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/935935

You can probably do what I did and contact your local support to get the hotfix by email.

Friday, February 29, 2008 4:12 AM