none
Custom Ribbon not showing up in Excel 2010 RRS feed

• Question

• I'm sure there is probably an easy answer to this...

I've created a new Excel Workbook project in Visual Studio 2010, to which I've added a new Ribbon (Visual Designer) component.  When I debug the project I do not see the new Ribbon in Excel 2010.  Is there a property I need to set, or some code I need to write to get it to show up?

Thanks.

Friday, July 16, 2010 8:06 PM

Answers

• I have not heard of any cases where PowerPivot prevents a Ribbon customization created in VSTO from loading, but temporarily disabling PowerPivot is one thing you could try to troubleshoot the problem. FWIW, I believe that Load Test is an add-in installed by Visual Studio 2010.

What happens if you change the Ribbon customization from the default Add-Ins tab to a custom tab in the designer? (in the designer, click the Ribbon tab, and in the Properties window expand ControlId, set ControlIdType to Custom, and change the (Name) property to whatever name you want for the tab). Does your custom tab start appearing then?

If this does fix the problem, in Excel, go to File->Options, click Customize Ribbon, and in the column on the right make sure that the Add-Ins check box is selected (it should be selected by default). If this was somehow cleared, that would explain why the default Ribbon customization your VSTO project (which appears on the Add-Ins tab by default) isn't appearing.

If this doesn't help, here are a few other things you might investigate:

• What is the target .NET Framework version of your project? If you change it (from 4 to 3.5, or vice versa) does that fix the problem? Changing the target framework shouldn't matter, but it would be an interesting bit of troubleshooting information if it does fix the problem in your case. Note that if you change the target framework, you'll need to either delete the existing Ribbon item in your project and add a new one, or make some changes to the existing Ribbon item if you want to keep using the same one in your proejct.
    • Also, just to make certain: When you say "I am not seeing the Ribbon...", you mean that you just aren't seeing the default Add-Ins tab created by the Ribbon project item, right? Or do you really mean that no Ribbon at all is showing up?

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    • Marked as answer by ejstembler Monday, July 19, 2010 8:02 PM
    Friday, July 16, 2010 9:52 PM
    Answerer

All replies

• In the scenario you describe (create an Excel Workbook project, add a Ribbon designer item, and then run/debug without making any other changes) you should see an Add-Ins tab in the Ribbon while the workbook associated with your project is open. If you drag controls to the Ribbon designer, you would see those controls show up on the tab as well. If you open a different workbook, you would no longer see your custom Add-Ins tab (unless some other add-in in Excel was also extending this tab).

Does this match what you are seeing? Or after doing the basic steps listed above are you not even seeing the Add-Ins tab? If so, have you confirmed that your customization assembly is getting loaded? (i.e., if you set a breakpoint in ThisWorkbook_Startup, is it getting hit?)

Friday, July 16, 2010 8:16 PM
    Answerer
  • Yes, I am not seeing the Ribbon when I run/debug.  And the Worksheet is loading; I put a breakpoint in ThisWorkbook_Startup to verify as you suggested.  Still no Ribbon.

One thing which may be different about my Excel 2010 setup, is that I have "PowerPivot" and "Pivot Collections" installed.  There's also a "Load Test" tab which I think PowerPivot added.  I may try uninstalling both of those to see if my Ribbon shows up afterwards... 

Friday, July 16, 2010 9:12 PM
  • I have not heard of any cases where PowerPivot prevents a Ribbon customization created in VSTO from loading, but temporarily disabling PowerPivot is one thing you could try to troubleshoot the problem. FWIW, I believe that Load Test is an add-in installed by Visual Studio 2010.

What happens if you change the Ribbon customization from the default Add-Ins tab to a custom tab in the designer? (in the designer, click the Ribbon tab, and in the Properties window expand ControlId, set ControlIdType to Custom, and change the (Name) property to whatever name you want for the tab). Does your custom tab start appearing then?

If this does fix the problem, in Excel, go to File->Options, click Customize Ribbon, and in the column on the right make sure that the Add-Ins check box is selected (it should be selected by default). If this was somehow cleared, that would explain why the default Ribbon customization your VSTO project (which appears on the Add-Ins tab by default) isn't appearing.

If this doesn't help, here are a few other things you might investigate:

• What is the target .NET Framework version of your project? If you change it (from 4 to 3.5, or vice versa) does that fix the problem? Changing the target framework shouldn't matter, but it would be an interesting bit of troubleshooting information if it does fix the problem in your case. Note that if you change the target framework, you'll need to either delete the existing Ribbon item in your project and add a new one, or make some changes to the existing Ribbon item if you want to keep using the same one in your proejct.
    • Also, just to make certain: When you say "I am not seeing the Ribbon...", you mean that you just aren't seeing the default Add-Ins tab created by the Ribbon project item, right? Or do you really mean that no Ribbon at all is showing up?

Friday, July 16, 2010 9:52 PM
    Answerer
  • What happens if you change the Ribbon customization from the default Add-Ins tab to a custom tab in the designer? (in the designer, click the Ribbon tab, and in the Properties window expand ControlId, set ControlIdType to Custom, and change the (Name) property to whatever name you want for the tab). Does your custom tab start appearing then?

Actually, yes, that made the Ribbon tab visible. I changed the ControlIdType to "Other" and renamed it.

Thanks for your help!

Monday, July 19, 2010 8:02 PM
  • Disabling Power pivot addin enabled my menu

If I dont disable Power pivot addin then I have to go and change ControlIdType to custom.

Regards, Ojas

Friday, April 20, 2012 11:08 AM
  • (I'm replying to this question, six years later...  I hope the developer has long-since found a solution !!)

I had the same problem today, using Visual Studio 2013 and Excel 2013.

The ridiculous solution...  you need to select your Ribbon, and change the ControlIdType from "Office" to "Custom".   And then your Excel Ribbon will appear.

Ridiculous, hey...?

Wednesday, March 22, 2017 10:42 AM