none
Trying to find ASP.NET Configuration in VS Community 2017 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

Hoping you can help, I am tearing my hair out over here.

I am trying to follow this tutorial for a basic Membership Login & Member's Only couple of pages: https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/879kf95c(v=vs.140).aspx

I can create the pages, the controls etc, piece of cake, but I get stuck at this point:

"To create a membership user

1. On the Website menu, click ASP.NET Configuration."

This menu option does not exist! I read somewhere else - don't remember exactly where now, this was many hours of messing about ago - that this method of creating a membership page is now obsolete, hence the menu option disappearing in VS2017 (and 2015 I think too)

But I cannot find anywhere an up to date or alternative tutorial for creating a Log-in & Members only page :-(

Please can anyone point me to a work-around for this step, or an alternate tutorial for what I am trying to achieve? (If it's relevant, I intend to use a SQL database for storing logins & passwords)

Thanks

John

Sunday, August 20, 2017 2:35 PM

All replies

• Hi John,

According to the docuemnt, it is apply to Visual Studio 2010 and previous version of Visual Studio. And as far as I know, there doesn't have ASP.NET Configuration tool from Visual Studio 2012 and later version of Visual Studio.

If you want to configure Login and Memebers in ASP.NET, please do with following steps.

1. Create an ASP.NET application with your Visual Studio 2017.
    2. Choose Individual User Accounts authentication option when creating your ASP.NET project.
    3. After project created, you will find there has an Account folder which contains all Login and Members managment pages. You need use them to manage the login information.
    4. Run the default application and on the right-up-coner you will find a Register link and a Login link. You could set login and members information with them.

The login data store in (localdb)\MSSQLLocalDB, which you could open it in SQL Server Object Explorer. And the database name is similar with aspnet-WebApplication1-20170821033124.

Best Regards,
    Weiwei

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Monday, August 21, 2017 7:44 AM
  • Hi John,

Do you have resolved your problem in VS2017?

If any questions, please feel free to let me know.

If resolved, please mark the helpful reply as answer, which is benefit to other communities who has the same problem.

Best Regards,
    Weiwei

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, August 29, 2017 7:57 AM
  • Hi Weiwei,

I developed an asp.net project using VS2010, which uses an Access database (including an ASPNetDB.mdb membership database). When I developed the project, we were able to manage users using the ASP.Net Configuration tool in Visual Studio. My former company reached out to me, and asked me to help manage users. They are using the current version of VS, and as you know the ASP.Net Configuration tool is no longer available in VS. So, my question for you is how can I setup the Individual User Accounts authentication option for a project that is already developed, and not being setup for the first time?

Thank you in advance for your help!

Colby

Wednesday, November 29, 2017 3:27 AM
  • I'm using visual studio 2017 community and I have created my project with individual account option, unfortunately the only account folder i'm getting is the one in views with .chtml extension 
    Thursday, February 1, 2018 11:18 AM
  • This is a great example of how Microsoft complicate things. The original walkthrough of creating a login and membership tutorial was excellent. It did exactly what was needed. The problem is that I need a site where an admin user creates users rather than people register for accounts. Loading this template is one thing but being able to make use of it with no documentation is a nightmare. There are just no good examples of this any longer.

As for the ASP.NET Configuration, you can load it but it doesn't help. To do it:

1. Open a command prompt (NOT AS ADMINISTRATOR).
    2. Type cd "\Program Files\IIS Express" and press enter
    3. Load your project in Visual Studio and in the solution explorer click on the project name to show the project properties. The one you're interested is the URL property. It will be something like http://localhost:52228/
    4. Copy the port number (52228) to the clipboard. Your port will be different.
    5. In the command prompt window type 
      isexpress.exe /path:C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v4.0.30319\ASP.NETWebAdminFiles /vpath:/ASP.NETWebAdminFiles /port:52228 /clr:4.0 /ntlm
    6. Then open a browser and browse to http://localhost:52228/asp.netwebadminfiles/default.aspx?applicationPhysicalPath=<PATH TO YOUR PROJECT>&applicationUrl=/
    7. Replace <PATH TO YOUR PROJECT> with the full path, eg: C:\Users\username\source\repos\myproject
    8. It will load the ASP.NET configuration tool

I must admit, I got that far, but I found it didn't help me much because it wouldn't connect to the database. I am tempted to install Visual Studio 2010 and create the project in that, then get it working, and then upgrade it to Visual Studio 2017.

Lee

Thursday, March 29, 2018 11:04 AM
  • Ok, so I found this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_2O5u9ZDzuM

First of all, if you go into Visual Studio 2017 and do this the options are different and no, you don't need the ASP.NET Configuration. So, good as the walkthrough is from Microsoft, it is designed for VS2010 and VS2008. To do this in VS2017, here are the steps:

1. Load Visual Studio
    2. File -> New -> Project
    3. In the left template tree, go to Installed -> Visual C# (or Visual Basic) -> Web -> ASP.NET Web Application (.NET Framework)
    4. Give it a name and a location
    5. Choose the Framework Version
    6. Click OK
    7. Choose Web forms
    8. Click Change Authentication <- Important
    9. I chose Individual User Accounts because I wanted web logins not related to any external or Windows Authentication method. Then Press OK
    10. Press OK, and wait while it builds your site
    11. Note, it DOES NOT CREATE YOU A DATABASE. If you want that, and have SQL Server installed, then follow the next steps
    12. Open SQL Management Studio
    13. New Query
    14. Type: create database MyDatabaseName
    15. Execute for it to create a basic database with defaults. Up to you what you do after that with configuring it
    16. Back in Visual Studio
    17. Open the web.config
    18. Under connection strings, delete the connection string attribute against the DefaultConnection and replace with: Data Source=(local);Initial Catalog=MyDatabaseName;Integrated Security=True
    19. Save and close
    20. Open a Visual Studio Command Prompt: Start -> Visual Studio 2017 - Developer Command Prompt for VS 2017
    21. Then type: aspnet_regsql, press return and the wizard appears
    22. Click Next
    23. Choose Configure SQL Server for application services and click Next
    24. Choose your authentication. If you chose a specific SQL user, pick it, add the password, choose the database and click Next
    25. Confirm by clicking Finish. It will fill your database with whatever it needs
    26. Back in Visual Studio, run the website and register a user and it will be logged in the database
    27. All done, bask in the glow of your amazingness!
    28. Back everything up, then go make your changes

• Edited by MrSnert Thursday, April 5, 2018 9:55 AM
    • Proposed as answer by MrSnert Monday, June 11, 2018 9:23 AM
    Thursday, April 5, 2018 9:54 AM
  • Lee, did you find a solution to your problem?  I'm can't for the life of me figure out how to create roles for users and administer them, and grant them access to specific pages in my website.

I'm also using visual studio community 2017- well trying...  All I want to do is put a portfolio together for potential employers so I can break into the industry and Microsoft make something that used to be simple into mission impossible.

If anyone out there has a link to some information on how to achieve this task please respond to this post.

I've also looked into oauth authentication (google and microsoft) and that process appears to be a complete nightmare too.  Someone help by pointing me to some literature or some youtube videos please!  I'm tearing what little I have of my hair out here!

Thanks in advance...

Thursday, December 6, 2018 7:54 PM
  • I followed the MVC course by Programming with Mosh. His style is brilliant and worth the money. Cost me about £10.
    Tuesday, February 19, 2019 9:45 AM