Moving SQL Server, should collection be detached

Question

• Our server admins need to move our TFS SQL server into a sql cluster - not sure why they didn't put it there in the first place. We are running TFS 2015 on prem. My question is, do I need to detach the collection from the SQL server prior to the server being moved? I'm told the server will need to be powered down for the move.

Wednesday, March 15, 2017 3:14 PM

All replies

• Hi TracySchumacher,

Thank you for posting here.

>>Moving SQL Server, should collection be detached
    No, you don't need to detach collections. The detach collection feature is used when you just want to move collections. But now, you need to move whole TFS databases.

To move SQL server to another machine is just like moving TFS. Follow this document. In the fourth step, you doesn't need to install application-tier because you don't want to move TFS application-tier, you just reconfigure.

Here is an article about move TFS Sql Server: https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/tfssetup/2014/05/15/migrating-team-foundation-server-databases/

Best regards

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Thursday, March 16, 2017 7:59 AM
  • Hi TracySchumacher,

Is there feedback?

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, March 21, 2017 9:29 AM