There are multiple users with the same display name RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

We have a user and when she get an item assigned to her she sees the following alert:

"There are multiple users with the same display name USERNAME and at least one of them does not have read permissions to some of the files"

Now I looked in the database and when I run the following query with the username:

SELECT     
         [ProviderDisplayName]  
        ,[DisplayName]  
        ,[HasDisplayName]  
        ,[Domain]  
        ,[AccountName]  
        ,[UniqueUserId]  
        ,[LastSync]  
      FROM [Tfs_Configuration].[dbo].[tbl_Identity] where displayname like '%USERNAME%'  

Then I get 2 same usernames back, How can I get rid of one of them ? When I access TFS trough the portal I only find 1 occurence of this user.

We use VS2013 and TFS2013 update 4

Best regards

Wednesday, March 11, 2015 10:38 AM

All replies

• Hi DSW,  

Thanks for your post.

In your query result, please check if these two users have the same Account Name. if they are two different Account Name in result, it indicate there’s two users have the same display name in your AD, please check that two users’ information in your AD. We suggest change one user’s display name in AD.  

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Thursday, March 12, 2015 7:09 AM
  • Hi the ProviderDisplayName,DisplayNAme,Domain and AccountName are all the same, the only difference is uniqueuserid for one user it is 1 and for the other 0 and the last sync is for one user NULL and the other has a date.

Regards

Thursday, March 12, 2015 9:49 AM
  • Hi DSW, 

Thanks for your reply. 

I am trying to involve someone familiar with this topic to further look at this issue. There might be some time delay.

Appreciate your patience.

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Friday, March 13, 2015 6:58 AM
  • Hi,

Was the TFS migrated from one domain to another? And if so, after the migration, did you run the TFSConfig Identities /change command?

Thanks.

Friday, March 13, 2015 7:41 AM
  • Hi, no we did not migrate from or to any domain, if I recall correctly this user has had a name change, is it possible to delete one of this users some how ?
    Friday, March 13, 2015 8:43 AM
  • Anyone with a solution or suggestion ?
    Tuesday, April 7, 2015 1:31 PM
  • Did this ever get resolved?  I have the same thing happening in my environment.  the user left the company and then came back.  After his account was reactivated (IT never deletes accounts) he now shows up twice when running this query.
    Friday, August 7, 2015 7:51 PM
  • Hey I didn't got any solution, the problem resolved itself.
    Monday, August 10, 2015 2:48 PM
  • Thanks for the reply.

Monday, August 10, 2015 2:50 PM
  • We are seeing this issue as well. We had a development intern leave, their AD account was deleted after a period of time, a 2nd intern started and was issued the original users AD username because of how we format usernames, but with a different display name. The 1st intern came back and was assigned a new AD username because of the 2nd intern that came after they left but with their original display name. Now we see the "There are multiple users with the same display name ****** and at least one of them does not have read permissions to some of the files" error.

We can see the duplicate display names with different usernames in the identities table but I have not seen any way to resolve it besides modifying their display name in AD. The 2nd intern that was reissued the 1st interns original username has left and never once accessed TFS but they were pulled into the TFS identity table anyway.

I'm sure we are going to see this again, it would be nice to have a way to resolve it in TFS and not have to change the way users are created in AD.

Thursday, November 12, 2015 3:26 PM
  • Same problem here, except its an intern now employee. In TFS user table, 2 rows are identical except for GUID.

AD synchronisation does not handle the case of conflicting username and/or login name. This is problematic. Has anyone found a solution that does not involve SQL delete since its void MS support ?

Alexandre Parent Software Engineer - Integration, ALM & Configuration Management

Tuesday, February 16, 2016 5:19 PM
  • Hi I now have the same issue again but now with a different user, does anyone found a working solution already ?
    Monday, February 22, 2016 10:52 AM
  • I also have the same issue in TFS 2015 and in TFS 15 after upgrade.
    All columns are the same except Id, DistinguishedName, UniqueUserId, SequenceID.

In my case, the user has been with the company for many years and we have not changed domains.

By looking at DistinguishedName, it would "seem" like IT did some AD reorganization and moved the user around in AD, and "maybe" the AD to TFS sync happened at some perfect timing that it left the user in TFS as 2 different users in 2 different OUs.

The entry with the "0" as UniqueUserId, is the one with the new correct DistinguishedName.
    However I am afraid to delete the other one because it was likely the original and has a UniqueUserID of 7.
    If I delete it, I am positive I would leave orphaned records.

I havent taken the risk yet, but I assume if I updated the first record to have the new DistinguishedName, and deleted the second record, I may be ok.
    I'm assuming this based on a "0" value for UniqueUserId leading me to believe that record likely is not linked out anywher yet.

Help?

Thursday, September 1, 2016 9:58 PM