Is there a way to show read only empty field controls in new work item form (weblayout)? RRS feed

• Question

• I am currently using TFS 2017 Update 2 on-prem. The new work item form seems to automatically hide fields in the <WebLayout> for fields that are read only and empty. You could prevent this from happening in the old form by using HideControlBorders="false". That however doesn't work with the new <WebLayout> section in the templates. 

Is there any other way to make readonly/empty fields always visible in <WebLayout>? This is a really frustrating thing to force on users and take away the feature to choose for yourself. We have external processes that populate some of these fields. And now our template layouts/field alignments are changing when those fields populate. Which makes the form even less aesthetically pleasing. 

Being able to show the control borders is another huge one. Looks awful having all this random white space on the form. Lots of less technical users don't realize there are actual fields there to interact with.

Monday, November 20, 2017 10:12 PM

All replies

• Hi Patrick,

The only way I could found is using the old form.

Best regards,

MSDN Community Support Please remember to click &amp;quot;Mark as Answer&amp;quot; the responses that resolved your issue, and to click &amp;quot;Unmark as Answer&amp;quot; if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com

Tuesday, November 21, 2017 9:49 AM
  • Yeah unfortunately that will not be available once we upgrade to TFS 2018. I'm trying to get the templates ready for when we do that upgrade and we have to use the new forms. We have been using TFS for many years now and have plenty of customizations in our templates. I'm running into a lot of limitations with the new forms. 
    Tuesday, November 21, 2017 5:13 PM