none
how to change the width of "Solution Configurations" drop-down list in the IDE toolbar? RRS feed

• Question

• I don't know if it's possible...

I have some names as "solution configuration" that are too long to be visible in the drop-down list of the toolbar of the VS 2010 IDE.

E.g. "ProjectNameTooLong Debug" or "ProjectNameTooLong Release".  In these cases I only see "ProjectName" but not if it's a Debug or a Release configuration.

Is there a way to enlarge the width of the drop-down list in order to see all the name?

Tuesday, August 28, 2012 10:26 AM

Answers

• Yes, but it isn't terribly intuitive.

First you want to get to the proper location in the Tools->Customize dialog, the easiest way is probably by clicking Customize off the 'Quick Customize' menu on the toolbar, as shown below

Then select the item in the Solution Configurations items in the listview and click on the Modify Selection button, you will see a Width field with its current value in it. Change that to something larger and then choose Close on the dialog.

Ryan

• Marked as answer by dave_MA Wednesday, August 29, 2012 6:24 AM
    Tuesday, August 28, 2012 8:31 PM

All replies

• Yes, but it isn't terribly intuitive.

First you want to get to the proper location in the Tools->Customize dialog, the easiest way is probably by clicking Customize off the 'Quick Customize' menu on the toolbar, as shown below

Then select the item in the Solution Configurations items in the listview and click on the Modify Selection button, you will see a Width field with its current value in it. Change that to something larger and then choose Close on the dialog.

Ryan

• Marked as answer by dave_MA Wednesday, August 29, 2012 6:24 AM
    Tuesday, August 28, 2012 8:31 PM
  • > Yes, but it isn't terribly intuitive.

And it's not very intuitive in VS2012 either !

You need to click on the Tools\Customize menu, select the Commands tab, 

Change the width to, say, 150, and now, you can now read the full Configuration name in the toolbar:

Taken from my blog:

Mikes Knowledge Base

• Proposed as answer by kyle flux Wednesday, July 26, 2017 6:49 PM
    Monday, February 24, 2014 9:37 AM
  • Oh man! Finally! I've been bothered by this for years - working on a project with multiple custom configurations.

To me it seems that the Solution Configuration and Solution Platforms dropdown's default sizes are swapped. 

-Cheers!

Sunday, May 21, 2017 9:37 AM
  • FINALLY!!! THANK YOU!!! I should have googled that years ago! ;)
    Friday, May 26, 2017 4:18 PM