none
Generic Trust Failure with .NET Framework 4 install Win 7 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I am running a Windows 7 and Office 2007,  I can use Windows Update service to update application, but I can't found .Net Framework 4. I even use the .NET framework cleanup utility and then clean my %temp% folder. Then I rebooted and tried to do a fresh install(standalone version), but I still receive the error.  I posted the specific details below. 

Verifying Digital Signatures: C:\00650ea4d72cd63ea8\SetupUtility.exe
    C:\00650ea4d72cd63ea8\SetupUtility.exe: Verifying signature for SetupUtility.exe...
    C:\00650ea4d72cd63ea8\SetupUtility.exe - Signature verification for file SetupUtility.exe (C:\00650ea4d72cd63ea8\SetupUtility.exe) failed with error 0x800b0100 (No signature was present in the subject.)
    C:\00650ea4d72cd63ea8\SetupUtility.exe Signature could not be verified for SetupUtility.exe

No FileHash provided. Cannot perform FileHash verification for SetupUtility.exe
    File SetupUtility.exe (C:\00650ea4d72cd63ea8\SetupUtility.exe), failed authentication. (Error = -2146762486). It is recommended that you delete this file and retry setup again.
    Failed to verify and authenticate the file -C:\00650ea4d72cd63ea8\SetupUtility.exe
    Please delete the file, C:\00650ea4d72cd63ea8\SetupUtility.exe and run the package again

Action complete
    calling PerformAction on an installing performer
    Action: Performing actions on all Items...

Wait for Item (SetupUtility.exe) to be available
    Final Result: Installation failed with error code: (0x800B010B), "Generic trust failure. " (Elapsed time: 0 00:00:14).

Any suggestions?

Saturday, January 15, 2011 4:32 AM

Answers

• Hi JamesWu5,

Welcome to the MSDN Forum.

A clarification with you:

Are you trying to install .NET Framework 4 through Windows Update?

Based on the error message, it looks like that your issue is related to the signature verification for file SetupUtility.exe.

I find a post .Net Framework 4 error: Generic trust failure, which have the same problem, would you please try steps in that post?

·         Check whether you can find the file C:\00650ea4d72cd63ea8\SetupUtility.exe.

Please also check the hidden files and folders via the following steps:

1)      Click Start, and open Computer.

2)      On the Tool bar, click Organize and choose Folder and Search Options.

3)      Click the View tab, and check to select the Show hidden files and folders option, and click OK.

If you can find it, please completely remove it.

·         Run the installer to install .NET 4.0 with Administrator Privilege

Note: Right-click the installer >> "Run as Administrator"

If the installation still fails, follow below steps to collect install log files:

·         Try to clean your "%temp%" folder (Start Menu >> Run >> Type "%temp%).

·         Install .NET Framework again.

·         Collect the logs from "%temp%" folder with the Collect tool.

Collect tool: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=e0da314f-6216-4a18-bc6b-7d29cf83af20&displaylang=en

·         Send the vslogs.cab file to me (E-mail: v-anwu@microsoft.com).

Note: Please attach the link of this post in the mail.

Waiting to hear from you.

Best Regards,

Andrew Wu [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Get or Request Code Sample from Microsoft
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Tuesday, January 18, 2011 8:49 AM

All replies

• I'm getting the same error. Generic trust failure. Ugh.
    Sunday, January 16, 2011 6:11 PM
  • Hi JamesWu5,

Welcome to the MSDN Forum.

A clarification with you:

Are you trying to install .NET Framework 4 through Windows Update?

Based on the error message, it looks like that your issue is related to the signature verification for file SetupUtility.exe.

I find a post .Net Framework 4 error: Generic trust failure, which have the same problem, would you please try steps in that post?

·         Check whether you can find the file C:\00650ea4d72cd63ea8\SetupUtility.exe.

Please also check the hidden files and folders via the following steps:

1)      Click Start, and open Computer.

2)      On the Tool bar, click Organize and choose Folder and Search Options.

3)      Click the View tab, and check to select the Show hidden files and folders option, and click OK.

If you can find it, please completely remove it.

·         Run the installer to install .NET 4.0 with Administrator Privilege

Note: Right-click the installer >> "Run as Administrator"

If the installation still fails, follow below steps to collect install log files:

·         Try to clean your "%temp%" folder (Start Menu >> Run >> Type "%temp%).

·         Install .NET Framework again.

·         Collect the logs from "%temp%" folder with the Collect tool.

Collect tool: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=e0da314f-6216-4a18-bc6b-7d29cf83af20&displaylang=en

·         Send the vslogs.cab file to me (E-mail: v-anwu@microsoft.com).

Note: Please attach the link of this post in the mail.

Waiting to hear from you.

Best Regards,

Andrew Wu [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Get or Request Code Sample from Microsoft
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Tuesday, January 18, 2011 8:49 AM