none
Can't change installation location (VS 2015 Community RTM) RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

After uninstalling of VS 2015 RC I'm trying to install VS 2015 RTM. Installation location is read-only.

Thanks

Monday, July 20, 2015 7:24 PM

Answers

• Hi Eugene Kiba,

Since you have installed Visual Studio 2015 RC, and it will install VS 2015 RTM at this read-only location. I doubt that your VS 2015 RC isn’t uninstalled completely.

If you uninstall it from the Control Panel, please try to use /uninstall /force to remove VS 2015 RC, it will remove the shared components, please take the following steps to have a try:

1.Download the setup application you used to originally install Visual Studio 2015 RC. If you installed from media, please insert that media.

2.Open a command prompt.

a.Click Run on the Start menu (Start + R).

b.Type cmd and press OK (Enter).

3.Type in the full path to the setup application and pass the following command line switches: /uninstall /force

Example: D:\vs_community.exe /uninstall /force

4.Click the Uninstall button and follow the prompts.

After this command, to see whether you could change the installation location or not.

Best Regards,

Jiayi Li

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Click HERE to participate the survey.

• Proposed as answer by pvdg42 Tuesday, July 21, 2015 3:16 PM
    • Marked as answer by Eugene Kiba Tuesday, July 21, 2015 5:53 PM
    Tuesday, July 21, 2015 8:19 AM

All replies

• Hi Eugene Kiba,

Since you have installed Visual Studio 2015 RC, and it will install VS 2015 RTM at this read-only location. I doubt that your VS 2015 RC isn’t uninstalled completely.

If you uninstall it from the Control Panel, please try to use /uninstall /force to remove VS 2015 RC, it will remove the shared components, please take the following steps to have a try:

1.Download the setup application you used to originally install Visual Studio 2015 RC. If you installed from media, please insert that media.

2.Open a command prompt.

a.Click Run on the Start menu (Start + R).

b.Type cmd and press OK (Enter).

3.Type in the full path to the setup application and pass the following command line switches: /uninstall /force

Example: D:\vs_community.exe /uninstall /force

4.Click the Uninstall button and follow the prompts.

After this command, to see whether you could change the installation location or not.

Best Regards,

Jiayi Li

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Click HERE to participate the survey.

• Proposed as answer by pvdg42 Tuesday, July 21, 2015 3:16 PM
    • Marked as answer by Eugene Kiba Tuesday, July 21, 2015 5:53 PM
    Tuesday, July 21, 2015 8:19 AM
  • thanks a million!!! this saved me alot of stress :)

Cheers, TMG

Sunday, February 28, 2016 7:06 AM
  • Jiayi Li

My disck D: crash. When Run D:\vs_community.exe /uninstall /force doesn't work.

Thursday, March 10, 2016 6:16 PM
  • What can I do if I do not know what the original installer was?  I believe Unity3D installed some version of Visual Studio, and now I can't change the install path while trying to install the full version.  I have a SSD for my C drive that is not big enough for VS to install to.

I've completely uninstalled Unity, and everything else that relates to Visual Studio.  

The install path is still read-only and the CustomInstallPath switch does nothing.

Is there a way that I can tell what installer I need to uninstall whatever has broken it?  What else can I do?  I'm close to the point of re-installing windows just so I can install Visual Studio, but that seems entirely ridiculous. 

Any help would be apprecieated.

Wednesday, April 27, 2016 12:01 PM
  • Same issue here, wont let me change install path. Extremely annoying.
    Wednesday, June 22, 2016 4:04 AM
  • I agree, totally not acceptable!

At least they can tell us the key or string where the old path is being read from so we can change it after we do all the uninstall with and without the force switches and removed all related folders.

Why not create a cleanup utility that will nuke all the VS2015 related entries and files.  They know what the keys are.

Stanley Barnett

Stanley Barnett

Monday, August 8, 2016 6:22 PM