none
Horror Movie: Act V: impossible to uninstall VS 2012 RTM Pro 90 day trial RRS feed

• Question

• I have written at length in a previous thread here

Horror Movie: Act I: Death of VS 2012 RC 1

about the sudden failure of Visual Studio 2012 RC1 Pro Trial, followed by my unsuccessful attempts to uninstall it, and how, finally, I "manually" deleted every reference to RC1, and .NET FrameWork 4.5RC1, from the registry: at which point VS RC1 appeared to be uninstalled. I have used msiinv.exe to analyze my system, and removed all kinds of stuff reported by that program, following instructions from Abner.

Then I installed VS Studio 2012 Pro RTM, 90 day trial version. Installed with many errors, and never worked properly, even though it did install: all bloody details, of this: in the message, "Act I," linked to above.

Now, attempting to follow the advice given here by the moderators (appreciated), I try to un-install VS 2012 RTM, and it fails; tried that multiple times.

The latest uninstall log generated by VS 2012 RTM is here: saved as a .txt file:

VS 2012 uninstall log October 13

At this point, I just give up. I would pay real money to someone who had a program that could completely clean every trace of both RC1 trial, and RTM trial off my system, and then I could, hopefully, get productive again using VS Studio 2010 Pro which I purchased in the U.S, and have been using for years.

Of course, the last thing I want to do is have to re-install Windows 7 64 Pro, install all my programs and tools again, and go through the endless download-updates, re-start, and download-more-updates, cycles that getting an older Win 7 up to current status demands.

Should I just cancel all plans to adopt Windows 8, plan to migrate to HTML5 + CSS3 + JavaScript+jQuery,  perhaps use JsNode, etc. ?

Of course I really don't want to do that, but several developers with successful WinForms, or WPF based, commercial applications, or tools, who I respect, are planning to do exactly that.

To me, this would be a tragedy because: Visual Studio is the best development environment I've ever known, and I really like C#, and there's still work out there for Windows Forms programmers.

Of course, with the "beauty of hindsight," I now realize I should have created a VHD with only Win 7 (or 8) and the VS Studio betas, etc. on it; then failure would have been fairly easy to deal with.

It is unacceptable in this modern era of sophisticated software for Microsoft to provide betas, previews, etc., that do not have a capable uninstall program. The resources for dealing with a problem like I'm having I've been referred to here go back to 2005, the equivalent of being from a previous century :)

I give up, but I'm "all ears" for further advice. Try to "repair" Win 7 using the the original install disk ? More tedious hours deleting registry entries ?

thanks, Bill

Bill Woodruff

• Edited by dotScience Monday, October 15, 2012 1:04 AM minor change for clarity
    Monday, October 15, 2012 1:02 AM

All replies

• Hi Bill,

I'm sorry you are running into this kind of problem and I'm trying to report this issue for you.

Thanks for your understanding.

Best regards,

Barry Wang [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us

Tuesday, October 16, 2012 6:55 AM
  • Hello Bill, I see that you have posted several threads in regards to your install\uninstall problems.  From a support perspective this is really beyond what we can do here in the forums. I would recommend that you please consider opening a support case with us. Visit the following link to see the support options that are available to meet your needs: 

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?id=fh;en-us;offerprophone

Wednesday, October 17, 2012 4:28 PM
  • Thanks, Barry, I appreciate your efforts ! Something came up that took me away from home for a while, but I am back now, and ready to face the enemy again :)

best, Bill

Bill Woodruff

Thursday, October 18, 2012 12:56 AM
  • Hi Kevin,

Thanks for your response; after a necessary week's respite from struggling with the "2012 RTM that won't go away," I am back, ready to "take up arms against a sea of troubles," as Hamlet says.

I followed the link you sent me, and checked it out.

For me, currently unemployed (technically), living on a small US retirement income, paying for even the least expensive paid support option is: out of the question.

US $259, fyi, in the part of S.E. Asia I live in (large city, but not the largest in the country, and not a crowded city), would cover more than two months of rent; cover my entire cost of living, except for rent, for around six to even eight weeks. Yes, I'm lucky; and S.E. Asian cost-of-living can be that inexpensive, if you live simply, and frugally, and the way of life you can have (except for the rent) on that amount is a very (relatively) rich life-style, compared to what life in any urban city in the U.S., or Europe, would cost.

I recognize that: if my problems reported here, are not, also, being reported by many other users, that the allocation of limited resources on this forum may require "triage:" and, my "case" may not be pursued, "in depth."

That doesn't bend me out of shape, and I appreciate the support I have already received here from Aaron, and other responders on this forum

I do have a more-than-trivial WinForms C# project in development that I hope to publish in a CodeProject ("open source") article; I do, from time to time, get paid employment as consultant. I do participate regularly on CodeProject, giving support to other .NET programmers using C#, WinForms. On CodeProject I have a "platinum" rank (highest) as "authority figure" (that category of "reputation" is based on votes on answers you give to technical questions asked by other programmers).

But, no, I have no sense of "entitlement" on any level, vis-a-vis Microsoft, no feeling whatsoever that: just because I purchase all my software (I actually import my MS software from the US, since I don't want any version that is somehow limited to install/use in S.E. Asia) in a country where perhaps one out of many thousands of users actually bought any MS OS, up to, and including, Windows 7 Pro, let alone a Visual Studio 2010 Pro, where "hacked" pirate copies of everything are widely available at about US $ 3, per DVD, that Microsoft "owes" me anything :)

I hope the thoughts expressed here may have some value to you, and/or others, at MS, but I am not on a "crusade," and am content if this message ends up "just blowing in the wind." (B. Dylan)

best, Bill

Bill Woodruff

• Edited by dotScience Friday, October 19, 2012 7:10 AM
    Thursday, October 18, 2012 1:30 AM