none
Any problems installing old VS2013 on system already having VS2017? RRS feed

• Question

• I need to support a program that was designed for VS2013 and earlier.  Since the app is also built for Linux and other platforms there is a huge resistance from the Linux people to compatibility with anything newer than 2013.

Anyway, I would like to install VS2013 on my current VS2017 system as it is inconvenient using remote desktop.   I do have an unused dual display KVM but it is already too hot in my cubical.  I don't want to add another system if I can avoid it.

Is there a problem doing this?  Anything I should be aware of?  I will also be running and debugging it.

Monday, November 11, 2019 10:40 PM

All replies

• Hi JosephStateson,

Welcome to MSDN forum.

Yes. You could install VS 2013 and VS 2017 on same system, and there is no compatibility issues about them. On my side, I have installed VS2013, VS 2015, VS 2017 and VS 2019 on one system, they all could work.

Note: you need to confirm your machine has enough memory and hard disks storage which could be reserved for them.

Hope it could help you.

Best Regards,

Dylan

MSDN Community Support Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com

Tuesday, November 12, 2019 2:51 AM
  • When multiple versions of Visual Studio are to be installed it has been the recommendation that the older versions are installed before newer ones.

In the OP's case, VS2013 would be installed after VS2017.  Does this variance from the recommended order raise any known issues?

Tuesday, November 12, 2019 11:54 AM
  • Hi RLWA32,

On my side, I also installed vs2017, and then vs2013. There was no problem during installation.  And during the use, I haven't encountered any issues currently.

My system version: Windows 10 enterprise 1903

Best Regards,

Dylan

MSDN Community Support Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com

Wednesday, November 13, 2019 2:48 AM
  • Thanks for the follow-up.
    Wednesday, November 13, 2019 2:57 AM