none
"Cannot find one or more components" Error When Executing Visual Studio 2008 RRS feed

• General discussion

• Hello

I suddenly started to get the error "Cannot find one or more components. Please reinstall the application" when attempting to run Visual Studio 2008.

VS2008 had run without problems since I installed it some months ago.

I removed VS2008 and re-installed it. During the installation the "Cannot find one or more components..." error popped up several times, although the installation appeared otherwise successful.

VS2008 would still not run - same error.

Long story short, after using depends.exe to check which DLLs devenv.exe was loading (or trying to load), the issue turned out to be a DLL that had gone missing; specifically atl90.dll

C:\WINDOWS\WinSxS\x86_Microsoft.VC90.ATL_1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b_9.0.21204.0_x-ww_5cf42c67\atl90.dll

When I restored this file from a backup, VS2008 loaded successfully.

I then removed and re-installed VS2008 once more, this time with no errors on installation.

I don't know what caused the DLL to go AWOL. Has anyone any similar experiences?

• Changed type Figo Fei Monday, August 11, 2008 9:57 AM to comment
    Friday, August 8, 2008 5:59 PM

All replies

• I meant to say: I am running XP SP3.

Friday, August 8, 2008 6:06 PM
  • I had the exact same error.  I am running Vista Ultimate x64.  The problem is I cannot remove or restore that file.  Any ideas.  How did you do it in XP?
    Regards
    Sanj

Tuesday, August 12, 2008 2:05 PM

• Hi Sanj

I don't have any experience with Vista I'm afraid. With XP I just needed administrator privilege to get write access to the directory. (I normally run without elevated privileges.)

Regards,

Nick

Tuesday, August 12, 2008 6:30 PM
  • Praise the Lord! You're my life saver!

I've been searching the web for the past 8 hours to find a solution to exactly this problem, apparently caused by an automatic Windows Update last night that must have gone wrong. When I came to the office this morning, VS 2008 could not be started.

Replacing the missing atl90.dll solved it!

Thanks!
    Tuesday, October 6, 2009 3:09 PM
  • solenopsis, thank you very much for figuring out and posting the solution to the problem. I had exactly the same problem after my computer running XP Pro SP3 crashed and your solution worked like a miracle. Thank you so much again; I appreciate people sharing their knowledge.
    Tuesday, November 3, 2009 4:25 PM
  • This problem can probably be resolved by installing the package "c++ redistributable 2005 /2008 ", which contains atl90.dll .
    Tuesday, November 24, 2009 9:31 AM
  • I am running XP SP3, and have the same problem.
    Tuesday, November 24, 2009 9:26 PM
  • Your solution works!
    The directory was slightly different on my machine but it was the same missing file (I used sysinternals' ProcessMonitor to find out which directory).

Strange thing is still how this suddenly appeared in the first place...

Thank you and thanks Internet ;-)
    Monday, November 30, 2009 7:54 AM
  • I had the same issue.  The only way to see what's missing is to do a depend on the EXE (under C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\Common7\IDE\devenv.exe)

For me, 2 files were missing

msjava.dll and mscrt90.dll.

No explanation as to where they went or why they were removed.

So look at the depends report and get the missing files. You can get most of them online.
    Tuesday, December 1, 2009 1:26 AM
  • What makes it all the more ominous is that this has affected people with the Automatic Update service disabled , as well.

Is Microsoft the new Amazon, deleting files from peoples' hardware whenever they feel like it? Or were these files timed to self-destruct on their own?

Something happenned... all you have to do is go to google and start typing Cannot find one to see how many people were hit.

Anyways, it works! Thank you
    Tuesday, December 1, 2009 10:50 PM
  • Thank you so much for your help.

Found missing dll, reinstated, and everything worked.
    The only weird thing is that when I launched depends.exe it was complaining about a different dll missing (MSJAVA.DLL)
    But once I reinstated Alt.dll, everything worked.
    Thursday, December 17, 2009 9:28 PM
  • thanks for the help.

When i downloded the dependency walker, ran depends.exe and attached profiler to devenv, it gave me error that the file is missing
    MWMAPI is also missing but it specific to Vista, my machine is XP

i had the same problem on my machine
    i copied atl90.dll at location.

C:\WINDOWS\WinSxS\x86_Microsoft.VC90.ATL_1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b_9.0.21204.0_x-ww_5cf42c67\atl90.dll

Its working now.
    Thursday, December 31, 2009 8:34 AM
  • I too had this problem.  The DLL's that i had missing was IESHIMS.DLL and WER.DLL.  I tried reinstalling VS2008, reinstalling IE8 but neither worked.  I then downloaded IESHIMS.DLL from http://www.dll-files.com/dllindex/dll-files.shtml?ieshims, copied it to the Visual Studio IDE directory along with wer.dll.  Then the files ncrypt.dll and bcrypt.dll showed as missing in depends.  Downloaded them, rechcked depends and no errors were shown.  Tried to run vs2008, but still the same problem "Cannot find one or more components. Please reinstall the application."  Arggh.

Monday, January 11, 2010 9:38 PM
  • Hey guys, I too had this same issue, although I'm not sure what triggered it. Dependency Walker was telling me that dwmapi was missing (i'm running XP sp3) and getting that dll and putting in the lcoation it was telling me only made more errors. I finally found this thread, and started looking around the Windows directory and found that the atl90 dll was in fact missing in one of the four C:\WINDOWS\WinSxS\x86_Microsoft.VC90.ATL_ directories.

My suggestion to anyone still having the issue is to look in each VC90.ATL directory you have and make sure that dll is in all of them, if it's missing hopefully you'll have a copy of it in at least one directory, copy it and place it in all directories it's missing.

Hope this helps someone in need! good luck!

Brian

Tuesday, January 12, 2010 2:28 PM
  • Thank you! This resolved my issue and I can run VS 2008 again. I had completely removed and re-installed VS 2008 and was still receiving this error. No idea what triggered it.

Tuesday, January 12, 2010 3:12 PM
  • I have been dealing with this problem for the better part of a day.  I uninstalled and reinstalled VS2008 with no luck.

I tried looking for the wayward atl90.dll and found it missing as well.  Replaced the dll and was back in business.

Thanks so much for the help!
    Thursday, January 14, 2010 6:54 PM
  • Thanks. I had exactly the same issue with ATL90.DLL I repaired and then reinstalled VS and that did not help. Thanks to this posting I believe I am a step closer to a working system.

However, if it helps others, I found that the problems occurred after I was forced to reset the machine. I asked it to close down because I'd lost my network connection and 15 minute later it still had not closed and was not prompting me to do anything so I resorted to resetting. After the reboot VS was not working but it might not have been working properly before the reboot either although it had been running.

Depends.exe did the trick for me (once I figured you had to profile the application to see the real problem and not just rely on the static analysis) and I also tried process monitor but that just hung my Windows XP SP2 machine (twice) so that will not get used again.
    Monday, January 18, 2010 10:31 AM
  • This happened to me on a Windows XP machine after upgrading IE7 to IE8.  I ran Depends and found several DLL's missing, but it did not warn me about the ATL90.dll.  I was about to give up but found that replacing the ATL90.dll worked.  PHEW!!  Saved me half a day of reinstalling.
    Monday, January 18, 2010 7:31 PM
  • Wow, thanks for this info.  Just ran into this problem today as well and had spent hours reinstalling the redist package and doing reinstalls and system rollbacks to no avail until I ran into this solution.

Thanks!

Tuesday, January 19, 2010 9:10 PM
  • Hi,
     I ran into the same problem, but in my case i was missing "MSVCR90.dll" (as indicated by Depends.exe application). I tried 2008 redistributable package but it did not do the trick.
     I had reinstalled Microsoft Visual Studio 6.0 (uninstall and install) just last week because i was getting "Configuring Application....please wait" dialog very time i launch VB or VC 6.0 IDE. In order to avoid this dialog popping up , i decided to uninstall and reinstall VS 6.0. Since then i started to get this problem when launching VS 2008.

Any help here. Should i reinstall VS 2008 Professional edition again?
    • Edited by ABAUTO Wednesday, January 27, 2010 9:09 AM typo
    Wednesday, January 27, 2010 9:08 AM
  • What makes it all the more ominous is that this has affected people with the Automatic Update service disabled , as well.

I was experiencing a similar issue as MonroeCheesememan.  According to DependencyWalker, IESHIMS.DLL , WER.DLL , NCRYPT.DLL and BCRYPT.DLL were also missing, so I obtained these from dll-files.com (granted, I have no idea whether they're a perfect match for the missing ones) and still the same error, "Cannot find one or more components. Please reinstall the application. "

Coincidentally, Automatic Updates restarted my machine last night as part of an update (I'm glad I saved most of my work beforehand!!!), and another coincidence, I disabled Automatic Updates service just prior to restarting VS2008 for the first time following the update.  Not sure whether the update itself is to blame or my disabling the service.

DependencyWalker still gave me this error after finding and replacing these missing DLLs:

"Warning: At least one module has an unresolved import due to a missing export function in a delay-load dependent module. "

I looked at solenopsis' post again and found that my ATL90.DLL was missing from the following folder, different from the one he listed but in the same ballpark:

C:\WINDOWS\WinSxS\x86_Microsoft.VC90.ATL_1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b_9.0.30729.4148_x-ww_353599c2

Once I restored the file, VS2008 is opening again for me. Microsoft, may I please have the half hour of my life back that I lost researching and fixing this??
    Thursday, February 11, 2010 3:38 PM
  • Omg :) Just happened to me for the second time. First time it was about 3-4 months ago.
    Same file now, but I still don't know what kind of software/installation removed it.

WinSxS\x86_Microsoft.VC90.ATL_1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b_9.0.30729.4148_x-ww_353599c2\ATL90.DLL

The easiest way to restore it is to download and install vcredist_x86 (redistributable for Visual C++ 2008 SP1 with ATL security update) from here (if your computer is missing the same file):
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=2051A0C1-C9B5-4B0A-A8F5-770A549FD78C&displaylang=en

I wouldn't recommend copying atl90.dll from any x86 directory inside WinSxS since they all different versions, and this one actually contains some security fixes.

P.S. You need to start profiling (F7) in depends (Dependancy Walker) to see which dlls are really required and missing on your system.
    Saturday, February 13, 2010 1:04 PM
  • This problem can probably be resolved by installing the package "c++ redistributable 2005 /2008 ", which contains atl90.dll .

This actually doesn't help, and indeed can make the problem worse once you get VS2008 to run, as the service packs will not install with the redistributable installed.   If you need to fix this, you have to uninstall the redistributable, then use the Windows Installer Clean Up utility to remove the entries for the redistributable package.
    Tuesday, February 16, 2010 3:19 PM
  • Omg :) Just happened to me for the second time. First time it was about 3-4 months ago.
    Same file now, but I still don't know what kind of software/installation removed it.

WinSxS\x86_Microsoft.VC90.ATL_1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b_9.0.30729.4148_x-ww_353599c2\ATL90.DLL

The easiest way to restore it is to download and install vcredist_x86 (redistributable for Visual C++ 2008 SP1 with ATL security update) from here (if your computer is missing the same file):
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=2051A0C1-C9B5-4B0A-A8F5-770A549FD78C&displaylang=en

I wouldn't recommend copying atl90.dll from any x86 directory inside WinSxS since they all different versions, and this one actually contains some security fixes.

P.S. You need to start profiling (F7) in depends (Dependancy Walker) to see which dlls are really required and missing on your system.

This actually doesn't help, and indeed can make the problem worse once you get VS2008 to run, as the service packs will not install with the redistributable installed.   If you need to fix this, you have to uninstall the redistributable, then use the Windows Installer Clean Up utility to remove the entries for the redistributable package.
    Tuesday, February 16, 2010 3:23 PM
  • OMG OMG - WTF - this issue just happened to me after updating my system - tried repair fail - removed/reinstalling fail
    Copied alt90.dll from a vista machine to the XP machine - fail
    Installed "c++ redistributable 2005 /2008 " - fail

Installed this:
    "Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Service Pack 1 Redistributable Package ATL Security Update"
    BINGO! I'm in!

Thanks - Brainsucker
    Thursday, February 18, 2010 9:04 PM
  • WinSxS\x86_Microsoft.VC90.ATL_1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b_9.0.30729.4148_x-ww_353599c2\ATL90.DLL

1. ok, this actually should help if your system is missing EXACT file i listed at my post, and since VS2008 uses this file, it means SP1 is already installed.
    if you don't want to install redistributable, you can extract this ATL90.dll by hands.

2. I never checked this out, and I think there is SOME CHANCE wraith808 is right, and it is possible (although unlikely) you'll have problems with installing Service Packs later, if you'll install this redistributable without VS SP1 installed. Even if it's true, it just another Microsoft's fail, since END USER REDISTRIBUTABLE shouldn't prohibit installation/update of any product.
    Friday, February 19, 2010 12:29 PM
  • Hey buddy, your tip about installing "Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Service Pack 1 Redistributable Package ATL Security Update" helped me. 
    Cheers.
    - Raj
    Friday, February 26, 2010 1:24 PM
  • Same here, the security update did the trick. Thanks.
    Monday, March 8, 2010 8:45 AM
  • My suggestion to anyone still having the issue is to look in each VC90.ATL directory you have and make sure that dll is in all of them, if it's missing hopefully you'll have a copy of it in at least one directory, copy it and place it in all directories it's missing.
    This worked for me.  If can check the file properties to check your versions - I had to make sure I had the correct versions in the amd64 directories and the x86 ones.  But this got me running again.
    Friday, March 12, 2010 5:03 PM
  • hii i believe am suffereing from the same problem but am runnig a visual studio 2003 on windows 7 starter e

so my prblem is also missing dll file???

Friday, March 26, 2010 2:54 PM
  • Thanks guys, had this problem all of 2day been driving me mad. Reinstalled all the software a few times, and it turned out that it was just a 157kb file needed copying from one file 2another.

Cheers guys

Thursday, April 1, 2010 11:51 PM
  • I had the same problem and the solution worked for me too.

I had an update of Paint.NET yesterday while I had VS2008 open. I half suspect it is that update that somehow removed the atl90.dll file although I can't be sure of course.

Thx for posting the solution.

Tuesday, April 27, 2010 8:56 AM
  • Same problem here, Visual Studio 2008 working fine, happened to have upgraded Paint.NET (VS2008 open).  Same error message.  For what it is worth, I have windows auto-update turned off as well (just have it set to notify me of updates so I can install them manually).

I did an uninstall of Paint.NET and now Visual Studio 2008 loads fine.  I did NOT have to do any other steps such as installing another package or copying a file from WinSxS.

I have not tried to reinstall Paint.NET (with VS 2008 closed) yet, when I get some courage I'll give it a try, I'm just so happy to have VS 2008 running again.

Friday, April 30, 2010 4:07 PM
  • OK, I have now reinstalled the latest Paint.NET, with VS 2008 closed, and everything seems fine.  VS 2008 still works and Paint.NET works as well.

Saturday, May 1, 2010 1:53 AM
  • Uninstalling Paint.Net did the trick for me.

I tried most of the other stuff to, unsuccessful till now that is.

Thanks!

Monday, May 10, 2010 9:36 AM
  • Paint.NET was the culprit for me as well.
    Monday, May 10, 2010 1:49 PM
  • Paint.NET was the culprit for me as well.
    I emailed Rick Brewster (Paint.NET author) and his response was:

This is actually an adverse mixture of Visual C++ 2008 runtime DLLs. They released an updated version of it last year that contained some important security fixes. However, they also incremented the version. If you haven't kept up on the updates for Visual Studio (and included tools such as Document Explorer), then sometimes Paint.NET (which uses and installs the very latest runtime with security fixes) will look as though it has broken Visual Studio. Looks like this happens if you have VS open while updating Paint.NET. A reboot usually fixes everything up.

Thanks to Rick for that response.
    Tuesday, May 11, 2010 12:40 AM
  • This problem can be resolved by installing the package "c++ redistributable 2005 /2008 ", which contains atl90.dll .

I also had the same problem downloaded the file from microsoft installed and now its working fine.

Tuesday, September 7, 2010 12:08 AM
  • It really helps me a lot, thanks.
    Friday, April 29, 2011 7:00 AM
  • I'm having the same problem.  I'm trying to run VC++ 2008 Express Edition on a different PC, but when I try to run it I get this error.

I tried copying over the two folders in C:\Windows\WinSXS that contained alt90.dll files from my PC where Visual Studio works to the other PC, but this doesn't help.

I also ran Depends.exe on VCExpress.exe and it said I was missing efsadu.dll, ieshims.dll, and wer.dll, but all three of these are supposedly also missing on my other PC where Visual Studio works.  I also can't find alt90.dll anywhere on the list of DLLs in Dependency Walker.

I read one of the replies and tried to run depends.exe on devenv.exe, but I can't seem to find devenv.exe anywhere.

Does anyone know what I need to do to fix this problem?

Saturday, July 16, 2011 10:30 PM