none
PowerPoint 2016 Chart filter issue RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

We are facing issues while working with PowerPoint Chart 'Filter'. When the filter is clicked for the first time it works fine. Then from the next time onward getting an error "The linked file is not available". Because of this reason not able to use "Edit Data".

When troubleshooting the issue further, found out the cause as Excel VSTO Add-in. This add-in handles "Application_WorkbookOpen" Event in ThisAddin.vb. Tried the event handler without any code as mentioned below, still facing the same issue. This happens for other Workbook events as well. 

Private Sub Application_WorkbookOpen(ByVal Wb As Microsoft.Office.Interop.Excel.Workbook) Handles Application.WorkbookOpen

End Sub

The same behavior is also seen when MDS Add-in is loaded in excel.

Any work around to handle this issue is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Stanley

• Edited by Stanley.Raj Monday, September 11, 2017 4:48 PM
    Monday, September 11, 2017 4:46 PM

Answers

• Hi Stanley.Raj,

Sorry for my fault. I forgot to close the workbook of the chart and that makes me fail to reproduce your issue.

Yes, I could reproduce your issue after closing the workbook and then do the test.

It seems something wrong to open the workbook when clicking filter second time. So the data source of the chart would be considered as empty.

As a workaround, I would suggest you use Application.WindowSelectionChange to capture when selecting on chart. Once selected object is a chart, then you could iterate through add-in and unload them in Excel Application. Use an array to record unloaded add-in. Once selected object is not a chart and the array is not empty, load add-in in the array and empty the array.

Best Regards,

Terry

• Marked as answer by Stanley.Raj Friday, September 15, 2017 9:51 AM
    Friday, September 15, 2017 5:08 AM

All replies

• Hi Stanley.Raj,

I could reproduce your issue using the MDS add-in.  

After installing the add-in, I create a power point presentation and insert a new chart. I get the same error as you when I click the filter second time.

I have also tried to create an Excel Add-ins with VB.Net but could not reproduce the issue.

What’s your test steps? Is the chart a new chart or linked chart from a workbook?

Why do you know the issue is caused as Excel VSTO Add-in?

I would suggest you debug the Add-in. Except Application_WorkbookOpen event, which event would be called when clicking filter?

I would suggest you share us a simple add-in project so we could try to debug the project.

You could share file with One Drive and put link here.

Thanks for your understanding.

Best Regards,

Terry

Tuesday, September 12, 2017 8:54 AM
  • Hi Terry,

Thank you for looking into this.

Please find below the link for sample add-in. https://1drv.ms/u/s!AhU3F01MbLVeg3F6q7ZoPfTDPta2

Question: What’s your test steps?

Below are the test steps

1. Build the Excel Add-in

2. Open PowerPoint and insert a Chart.

3. Click filter. Second time you get the error.

Comment the following code and try the above steps it works fine.

Private Sub Application_WorkbookOpen(ByVal Wb As Microsoft.Office.Interop.Excel.Workbook) Handles Application.WorkbookOpen

End Sub

Question : Is the chart a new chart or linked chart from a workbook?

Answer: This behavior is same for a new Chart and a linked chart.

Question: Why do you know the issue is caused as Excel VSTO Add-in?

Answer: If I comment the Application_WorkbookOpen method in Excel VSTO add-in then it works fine.

Please let me know if you need any more details

Thanks,

Stanley

• Edited by Stanley.Raj Tuesday, September 12, 2017 10:41 AM
    Tuesday, September 12, 2017 10:41 AM
  • Hi Stanley.Raj,

I failed to reproduce your issue with Excel 2016, what's the version of your Excel?

Would each vb.net add-in which has Application_WorkBookOpen event cause this issue? Have you tried to check if C# add-in would cause this issue?

If you do this test on another PC, would the issue still exist?

Best Regards,

Terry

Wednesday, September 13, 2017 11:18 AM
  • Following is the OS and Office version

Excel version: 2016 32-Bit & 64-Bit.

Yes, each vb.net add-in is causing the issue. Not facing the same with C# add-in.

Yes, the issue exists in other PC's as well.

Thanks,

Stanley

Wednesday, September 13, 2017 11:57 AM
  • Hi Stanley.Raj,

I test your add-in with OS:Win10 Excel version:2016 32bit(Build 8326.2107).

Have your tried to update your OS or update office to last version?

If you have any power point add-in, please test without loading these add-in.

Best Regards,

Terry

Thursday, September 14, 2017 10:19 AM
  • Hi Stanley.Raj,

Sorry for my fault. I forgot to close the workbook of the chart and that makes me fail to reproduce your issue.

Yes, I could reproduce your issue after closing the workbook and then do the test.

It seems something wrong to open the workbook when clicking filter second time. So the data source of the chart would be considered as empty.

As a workaround, I would suggest you use Application.WindowSelectionChange to capture when selecting on chart. Once selected object is a chart, then you could iterate through add-in and unload them in Excel Application. Use an array to record unloaded add-in. Once selected object is not a chart and the array is not empty, load add-in in the array and empty the array.

Best Regards,

Terry

• Marked as answer by Stanley.Raj Friday, September 15, 2017 9:51 AM
    Friday, September 15, 2017 5:08 AM
  • Hi Terry,

Thanks for the workaround. Thanks for all your help in solving this issue.

Though it has performance issue it is good for now. It will be great if Microsoft fix this bug.

Thanks & Regards,

Stanley

• Edited by Stanley.Raj Friday, September 15, 2017 10:22 AM
    Friday, September 15, 2017 10:21 AM
  • Hi Terry,

Implemented the work around as you have suggested. 

Able to unload the excel add-in if Excel is closed. If Excel is opened then not able to unload the add-in. So we get the same error "The linked file is not available". We can't expect users to close excel while using filter option in PowerPoint chart.

Could you please post this bug to the Dev team, So that we can have a fix in the next updates.

Thanks,

Stanley

Monday, September 18, 2017 2:44 PM
  • Hi Stanley.Raj,

You could go to File->Feedback to submit a feedback for you issue.

Best Regards,

Terry

Wednesday, September 20, 2017 7:37 AM