none
Open/View a .dds file in Visual Basic .NET 2012

Question

• Hello Everyone, I've been working on a little program that allows users to build libraries of .dds files that are read by a game. So far, Ive been able to get it to do everything that I want it to do except one thing: Display a selected .dds file, so the user can easily verify that they have the correct file selected. I've tried using the Picture Box to no avail. Any help would be greatly appreciated, Thanks
    Tuesday, January 14, 2014 4:20 AM

Answers

All replies

• Check this : http://www.mastropaolo.com/devildotnet/

WHAT IS DEVIL.NET ?

I’ve written a small wrap around the DevIL image library .

As for the .NET viewer, this is a “2 hour project” – that is a project I’ve written in 2 hours before going to sleep.. so no warranty is included! ;)

NOTE : This project is intentionally minimalist. If you want a more complete wrapper over DevIL, have a look at the Tao.Framework.

It allows any .NET program (VB.NET, C#, etc) to open and save files in all formats supported by the DevIL library. Also it opens them as System.Drawing.Bitmap objects, so that it works optimally with existing code.

As now it supports loading in  bmp  cut  dcx  dds  ico  gif  jpg  lbm  lif  mdl  pcd  pcx  pic  png  pnm  psd  psp  raw  sgi  tga  tif  wal  act  pal   and  Doom graphics

And saving in :   bmp  dds  jpg  pcx  png  pnm  raw  sgi tga  tif  pal

Got it by : http://www.vbforums.com/showthread.php?678747-Opening-DDS-file-in-picturebox

remember make the reply as answer and vote the reply as helpful if it helps.

• Proposed as answer by Risa- Wednesday, January 15, 2014 2:35 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by Risa- Thursday, January 16, 2014 7:58 AM
    Wednesday, January 15, 2014 2:35 AM
  • I've tried to use DevIL and DevIL.Net, but i can only ever get the DevIL.Net.dll to work, the other .dlls (which seem to be required for the wrapper to work) throw an error saying its not accessible or a valid COM component. I know its accessible because the files are in the root of my program on my desktop
    • Edited by MastaFoo69 Wednesday, January 15, 2014 9:38 PM forgot something
    Wednesday, January 15, 2014 9:38 PM
  • I've tried to use DevIL and DevIL.Net, but i can only ever get the DevIL.Net.dll to work, the other .dlls (which seem to be required for the wrapper to work) throw an error saying its not accessible or a valid COM component. I know its accessible because the files are in the root of my program on my desktop
    Did you copy DevIL.dll into your executable's directory ?

Thursday, January 16, 2014 7:14 AM
  • yes. my executable's root is a folder on my desktop
    Thursday, January 16, 2014 7:40 AM
  • yes. my executable's root is a folder on my desktop
    Have you added the reference of that dll?

Thursday, January 16, 2014 7:41 AM
  • every time I try to reference devIL.dll  it tells me its not accessible or a valid COM component; but devIL.Net.dll references no problem. But I cannot use devIL.Net without the devIL.dll
    • Edited by MastaFoo69 Thursday, January 16, 2014 8:00 AM
    Thursday, January 16, 2014 7:52 AM
  • Maybe we should give up using that way, we could have a try as the way shared by similar thread:

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/windowshardware/en-US/358120f1-81f4-4a10-91da-e321731537bc/going-crazy-with-thishow-to-loadsave-dds-images?forum=csharpgeneral

Hi TrojanNemo,

Please check the document from MSDN:

Programming Guide for DDS

You could try to use the project recommended by Microsoft to read or write DDS files:

DirectXTex texture processing library

DirectXTex, a shared source library for reading and writing DDS files, and performing various texture content processing operations including resizing, format conversion, mip-map generation, block compression for Direct3D runtime texture resources, and height-map to normal-map conversion. This library makes use of the Windows Image Component (WIC) APIs. It also includes a simple .TGA reader and writer since this image file format is commonly used for texture content processing pipelines, but is not currently supported by a built-in WIC codec.

This thread could also be helpful to you:

How to convert a pixel array to a dds

Thursday, January 16, 2014 8:00 AM
  • Hm; Ill have to try that in the morning, it looks promising.

Thursday, January 16, 2014 8:13 AM