getting trace.axd in Desktop 2 tier setup? RRS feed

• Question

• Is there a way to produce trace.axd in Desktop deployment in 2 tier model?  I have changed the web.conf file to enable tracing but was not able to find trace.axd on client system C:\ folder.  Is the trace.axd for IIS use only?
    Wednesday, November 2, 2011 2:23 PM

Answers

• It is not as easy as a Web app. You should be able to access http://localhost:<port number>/trace.axd

Determining the port number is the hard part. If you are an admin on the machine then run the following command: 'netstat -bnap tcp'

Locate the port number corresponding to 'vslshost'.

Please let me know if this helps.

• Marked as answer by AtlantaKid Thursday, November 3, 2011 8:48 PM
    Wednesday, November 2, 2011 4:10 PM
  • AtlantaKid,

No - IIS doesn't need to be running.

When you deploy a 2 tier desktop app, something needs to carry out the server side processing that would have been carried out by IIS/ASP.NET, had you deployed it as a 3 tier app.

In a 2 tier app, that role is carried out by a process called vslshost.  

By running the netstat command as Ravi suggests, you can find out port number that vslshost is listening on. You'll need to do some work in your LS app for netstat to return some results (ie open some screens, load some data). Netstat monitors network communications and returns the source and destination port numbers, so you'll need to make sure to pick up the correct port number..

Tim

Wednesday, November 2, 2011 9:46 PM

All replies

• It is not as easy as a Web app. You should be able to access http://localhost:<port number>/trace.axd

Determining the port number is the hard part. If you are an admin on the machine then run the following command: 'netstat -bnap tcp'

Wednesday, November 2, 2011 4:10 PM

Does this means that IIS needs to be running in the client machine where the desktop app is running?  I thought the desktop model is silverlight bundled app that connects directly to a Database server and runs, no need for IIS!!

It that correct?

Wednesday, November 2, 2011 7:45 PM
  • AtlantaKid,

No - IIS doesn't need to be running.

When you deploy a 2 tier desktop app, something needs to carry out the server side processing that would have been carried out by IIS/ASP.NET, had you deployed it as a 3 tier app.

In a 2 tier app, that role is carried out by a process called vslshost.  

By running the netstat command as Ravi suggests, you can find out port number that vslshost is listening on. You'll need to do some work in your LS app for netstat to return some results (ie open some screens, load some data). Netstat monitors network communications and returns the source and destination port numbers, so you'll need to make sure to pick up the correct port number..

Tim

Wednesday, November 2, 2011 9:46 PM