none
MS official Win 8 Compatibility Site flags Visual Studio Pro 2010 as not compatible ? RRS feed

• Question

• On the MS official Win 8  Compatibility site, if you search on "Visual Studio 2010 Pro" in the Developer Tools category: 

VS 2010 Pro Win 8 Compatibility

You'll notice the "circle with X" icon next to the results indicating not compatible.

Yet, it has four "votes" as being compatible. There are no comments, or other information available. As you look down that page, you'll various component of VS Studio listed as compatible, and even the plain (non-pro) Visual Studio 2010 listed as compatible.

Is VS 2010 Pro compatible with Win 8, or not ?

thanks, Bill

Bill Woodruff

Tuesday, October 30, 2012 7:34 AM

All replies

• It is compatible, I'm running VS2010 on win8. You get the warning because of the SQL Server which is installed by the VS:

Minimum version requirements when you install SQL Server on Windows Server 2012 or on Windows 8

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2681562/en-us

"A programmer is just a tool which converts caffeine into code"

Tuesday, October 30, 2012 10:39 AM
  • Andre,

You are responding to some different question than the one I asked.

I am asking why the program is marked as incompatible with an icon by Microsoft on the Microsoft official site.

I am glad to hear VS 2012 is working for you !

best, Bill

Bill Woodruff

Tuesday, October 30, 2012 11:11 AM
  • I mean VS2010, sorry.

I've answered your question. SQL Server is the cause.

Also install this update and VS2010 works:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2736182

Tuesday, October 30, 2012 11:25 AM
  • Hi Andre,

I appreciate your response, but once again you are not responding to the question I asked which was specific to why Microsoft itself flagged VS Studio 2010 Pro as Win 8 incompatible. Which is quite strange, since the non-pro version of VS 2010 is marked as compatible.

I want to hear from someone on this forum who works for Microsoft why their site puts up the "incompatible" icon for the Pro version of VS Studio 2010 !

The KB article you refer to is something that will be, indeed, useful to some people, but if you read it closely, towards the end you'll find the statement that it only applies to:

"Article ID: 2736182 - Last Review: October 8, 2012 - Revision: 2.0Applies to

• Microsoft Visual Studio 2010 Premium
    • Microsoft Visual Studio 2010 Ultimate
    • Microsoft Visual Studio Test Professional 2010"

Please read more closely before you post, and think about whether you are responding to the question as asked.

Bill Woodruff

Tuesday, October 30, 2012 12:28 PM
  • Hi dotScience,

It doesn't apply to Visual Studio 2010 Pro by design.

If you have any suggestion about it, you can submit it to:

http://visualstudio.uservoice.com/

Best regards,

Ego [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us

Wednesday, October 31, 2012 5:48 AM
  • Hi dotScience,

It doesn't apply to Visual Studio 2010 Pro by design.

If you have any suggestion about it, you can submit it to:

http://visualstudio.uservoice.com/

Hi Mr. Ego,

This is not an answer to my question: it's an evasion of the question, and "brush-off."

If you have knowledge about why what I describe is "by design," and why users are voting VS Studio 2010 Pro as compatible with Windows 8, at the same time end-users are "voting" it as "compatible:"

And, you are making a choice not to disclose that information, why are you in this forum to begin with ?

If you do not have a direct answer, why are responding at all ?

This is the Visual Studio Install Forum: I am asking a question directly related to the install and use of Visual Studio 2012 Pro in Windows 8.

Your reply is useless, and inappropriate.

Bill

Bill Woodruff

Wednesday, October 31, 2012 6:45 AM
  • Again, the VS2010 works! Here is a Picture:

You get the warning because the VS2010 installs an incompatible SQL Server Express version! Update the SQL Express and use VS2010.

This is my last reply. I'm tired of repeating myself over and over again.

Wednesday, October 31, 2012 6:48 PM
  • Hi Andre, I am happy to know that VS 2010 Pro works within Windows 8 for you !

If you had read my first question carefully, and carefully examined the MS site I put up a link to; you would have realized that I was NOT asking whether VS Studio 2010 Pro, worked, or not, in Win 8.

I asked why Microsoft flags it as incompatible, when users are clearly saying it is (four votes that it was compatible when I viewed that site before posting the first message here). That information is contained in the first post.

I have not yet installed Windows 8.

Your information that you can have a specific warning message on installation of VS Studio Pro 2010 on Windows 8, related to SQL, and how to work around it, is valuable information ! That information should be provided by Microsoft. Or, better yet, Microsoft should fix the issue you describe.

I have already had a friend of mine, who does have a MSDN subscription, and premium support, send a message to the "paid support people" at MS about this discrepancy.

With your permission, I'd like to post the information you give here: on CodeProject, in the forum where people likely to be using Win 8, and, perhaps installing VS Studio Pro 2010, will see it. Most of those people, though, will be going over to VS 2012 with the change to Win 8, as intend to, eventually.

I can mention your name and link to your response here, if you wish, or I can not mention you by name, and not give a link. Or, perhaps, you'd like to post this information on CodeProject, StackOverFlow, or SuperUser, sites ?

Unfortunately, being under deadline pressure, without being even able to use VS Studio 2010 Pro (purchased in the US) in Windows 7, for over a month, in spite of numerous attempts to follow suggestions from forum moderators here in responses to different threads (than this one), has left me less patient than usual.

I do understand it is frustrating, when you feel you are not heard, when your intention is to provide useful information :)

I am sorry if I gave you the impression I was ignoring your attempts to be helpful, but my responses were just trying to communicate to you that I was asking a different question than the one you were answering.

best wishes, Bill

Bill Woodruff

Thursday, November 1, 2012 5:28 AM

• I asked why Microsoft flags it as incompatible, when users are clearly saying it is (four votes that it was compatible when I viewed that site before posting the first message here). That information is contained in the first post.

and I told you 3 time the answer: BECAUSE OF AN INCOMPATIBLE SQL SERVER EXPRESS VERSION. Is this soooooooooo hard to understand?

Thursday, November 1, 2012 3:39 PM