What to choose C# or Visual Basic ? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi!

I'm a professional programmer who has until now been working with Visual Basic 6, and it's work ok.

But thinking about the future I want to learn Visual Basic .NET or C#.

I dont like the cryptic thing of C++

What's impotant for me is:

- Being able to make apps for Windows 8 Metro and Windows Phone 8

- Not too steep learning curve

The programming will be "normal" applications and not device drivers or other low level thing.

David

David

Thursday, August 8, 2013 2:20 PM

Answers

• Since your background is VB it would be prudent to stick with VB.NET and learn how to work into VB.NET style of coding. Once you have done this consider taking on C Sharp (but not both at once) little by little. One thing that can help learn C Sharp after learning VB.NET is to take existing VB.NET code and convert it to C Sharp using a quality language converter. Keeping things small will speed the learning curve. Personally I see no issues simply sticking with VB.NET yet if the job market is more C Sharp this is why you would consider learning C Sharp, otherwise another thought is it can't hurt to C Sharp if perhaps you come across a piece of code that you might want for a VB.NET solution, knowing "enough" can come in handy.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help, this will help others who are looking for solutions to the same or similar problem.

Thursday, August 8, 2013 7:46 PM
  • Hi,

you can develop for both Windows Store and Windows Phone with either C# or VB. The choice is up to you. With your previous knowledge VB would be a good choice, but you should also have a look at C#, because most of the examples you will find on the web are using C#.

Best Regards. When you see answers and helpful posts, please click Vote As Helpful, Propose As Answer, and/or Mark As Answer. This helps us build a healthy and positive community.

@Horizon_Net | Blog

Thursday, August 8, 2013 7:24 PM

All replies

• Hi,

you can develop for both Windows Store and Windows Phone with either C# or VB. The choice is up to you. With your previous knowledge VB would be a good choice, but you should also have a look at C#, because most of the examples you will find on the web are using C#.

Best Regards. When you see answers and helpful posts, please click Vote As Helpful, Propose As Answer, and/or Mark As Answer. This helps us build a healthy and positive community.

@Horizon_Net | Blog

Thursday, August 8, 2013 7:24 PM
  • Since your background is VB it would be prudent to stick with VB.NET and learn how to work into VB.NET style of coding. Once you have done this consider taking on C Sharp (but not both at once) little by little. One thing that can help learn C Sharp after learning VB.NET is to take existing VB.NET code and convert it to C Sharp using a quality language converter. Keeping things small will speed the learning curve. Personally I see no issues simply sticking with VB.NET yet if the job market is more C Sharp this is why you would consider learning C Sharp, otherwise another thought is it can't hurt to C Sharp if perhaps you come across a piece of code that you might want for a VB.NET solution, knowing "enough" can come in handy.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help, this will help others who are looking for solutions to the same or similar problem.

Thursday, August 8, 2013 7:46 PM