none
commercial software using MFC without a license RRS feed

• Question

• HI,

I am a developer of a small company, we now plan to develop a desktop application using MFC.

I know that at least before VS2015, MFC was a part of VISUAL STUDIO that customers should paid for it.

But what's the situation now? Because I can get MFC by installing the Build Tools for Visual Studio 2019.

So is MFC free tody? Or do I still need a license even if I get MFC from the Build Tools?

Friday, December 13, 2019 3:45 AM

Answers

• Hello,

MFC is provided with Visual Studio. So buying the VS license is also a legal way to get MFC.

Best Regards,

Suarez Zhou

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by MUKOJO Friday, December 13, 2019 10:08 AM
    Friday, December 13, 2019 8:27 AM

All replies

• Hello,

Thank you for posting here.

Visual studio Community 2019 is free. You can get MFC through it. To use the Community Edition, please refer to the following link.

https://visualstudio.microsoft.com/license-terms/mlt031819/

Best Regards,

Suarez Zhou

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Friday, December 13, 2019 5:52 AM
  • Thank you for your reply.

But I'm not sure if we meet the requirements of the Community Edition.

If we are not allowed to use the Community Edition, is buying the VS license the only legal way to obtain MFC?

What about the MFC I get from VS Build Tools? is it legal?

Thanks

Friday, December 13, 2019 6:54 AM
  • Thank you for your reply.

But I'm not sure if we meet the requirements of the Community Edition.

If we are not allowed to use the Community Edition, is buying the VS license the only legal way to obtain MFC?

What about the MFC I get from VS Build Tools? is it legal?

Thanks

MFC is part of Visual Studio. So when you have a License, you can develop and sell software that you implemented with Visual Studio.

We don't know and we can't say if you meet the requirements of the Community Edition. You work in a company that wants to earn money with the help of MFC and Visual Studio. So why don't you just buy a license? It doesn't cost too much, the license will not ruin your company. Instead of worrying if you are on the legal part or not, buy it.

Regards, Guido

And no, I'm not Microsoft. But my company has a license of VS. So we don't worry if we are legal or not. A craftsman must buy tools to work too.

Friday, December 13, 2019 7:57 AM
  • Hello,

MFC is provided with Visual Studio. So buying the VS license is also a legal way to get MFC.

Best Regards,

Suarez Zhou

MSDN Community Support

• Marked as answer by MUKOJO Friday, December 13, 2019 10:08 AM
    Friday, December 13, 2019 8:27 AM
  • Hi Guido

Thank you for your reply. But you misunderstood me.

I just want to confirm that license is required for MFC if we are not allowed to use the Community Edition.

Now I got the answer and I will ask my boss to buy the license.

Best Regards

And I completely agree with you A craftsman must buy tools to work too. :)

Friday, December 13, 2019 10:11 AM