none
CLI/console programming in VB RRS feed

• Question

• is it possible to do Command Line Interface/console programming in VB, i am about to get Visual Studio 2005 and i have been recomended to start out with VB as i have used the original BASIC language and i have used REALbasic.
    an is it possible to make apps that can be run as services?
    and just to see what your opinions are which language out of C# or C++ would you start after learning VB?
    Friday, November 25, 2005 5:46 AM

Answers

• Hi,

Let me add to this.

You can create Command line applications using the Console Application project type.  New Project -> Console Application.

You can create a windows service using the Windows Service application project type.  New Project -> Windows Service.  In VB.NET you have a nice object that lets you handle what happens when a service is started, stopped, or paused.  You can call any .NET code from here as well. 

For languages, you will absolutely feel the most at home using VB.NET if you have prior skills in Basic or Visual Basic.  The producitivity experience will make you feel most at home as well.  I recommend starting here.  Don't worry, you don't lose access to anything you need.

You can download VB express and the other express editions for free here:
    msdn.com/express

Best,

Paul Yuknewicz
    Microsoft
    Saturday, November 26, 2005 3:08 AM

All replies

• >is it possible to do Command Line Interface/console programming in VB

Yes

>an is it possible to make apps that can be run as services?

Yes

>and just to see what your opinions are which language out of C# or C++ would you start after learning VB?

Depends on what kind of application you want to write or what you want to learn. If you know VB.NET you can quickly pick up C# as well.

Friday, November 25, 2005 7:42 AM
  • Hi,

Let me add to this.

You can create Command line applications using the Console Application project type.  New Project -> Console Application.

You can create a windows service using the Windows Service application project type.  New Project -> Windows Service.  In VB.NET you have a nice object that lets you handle what happens when a service is started, stopped, or paused.  You can call any .NET code from here as well. 

For languages, you will absolutely feel the most at home using VB.NET if you have prior skills in Basic or Visual Basic.  The producitivity experience will make you feel most at home as well.  I recommend starting here.  Don't worry, you don't lose access to anything you need.

You can download VB express and the other express editions for free here:
    msdn.com/express

Best,

Paul Yuknewicz
    Microsoft
    Saturday, November 26, 2005 3:08 AM
  • thanks for that, i think i will go with vb after all, ive been changing my mind regularly about which language i should use, c sharp or vb but i think i will go with vb
    Sunday, November 27, 2005 12:28 AM
  • You bet.  I think you will like it.  Let us know how it goes for you.

Monday, November 28, 2005 1:07 AM