none
Help with built application .exe file requiring missing MSVCP140.APP.dll to run RRS feed

• Question

• On my PC (Windows 10 64 bit) Using the Blank App (Universal Windows C++/CX) wizard using XAML (Most recent version of V.S.) to commence a project (even without any user code input) the resulting .exe after building gives an error of missing MSVCP140.APP.dll (Note this is not the usual MSVCP140.dll - it has an additional .APP. in the name) I do not have such a file and it was not downloaded on installing V.S. and it is unlikely to be on the computer of anybody I give the app to. Of note is the app will run within the V.S.environment without any apparent need for a MSVCP140.APP.dll . If I actually put a MSVCP140.APP.dll file in my system 32 folder there is a further error requiring another dll file and so on. It must be the way I am building it. If anyone has successfully produced a working exe file using that wizard I would much appreciate your guidance. Thanks
    • Edited by hashingsmurf Thursday, November 14, 2019 6:58 PM More information
    Thursday, November 14, 2019 6:37 PM

Answers

• Hi hashingsmurf,

Welcome to MSDN forum.

Based on your description, I could reproduce this issue on my side.

To open UWP app without VS, you need to right-click project in VS -> deploy it, then you could open it in Start Menu. 

If you want to upload or share the result file, you need to Right-click project -> Publish -> Create a app package to pack it. Please refer more details: Package a UWP app with Visual Studio.

Hope it could help you.

Best Regards,

Dylan

MSDN Community Support Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com

• Marked as answer by hashingsmurf Friday, November 15, 2019 9:13 AM
    Friday, November 15, 2019 2:40 AM

All replies

• This sounds like you are double clicking on the executable that is produced. Regular UWP apps can't be executed that way. You have to deploy them and then run them through the icon added to start for them to run correctly.

This is a signature. Any samples given are not meant to have error checking or show best practices. They are meant to just illustrate a point. I may also give inefficient code or introduce some problems to discourage copy/paste coding. This is because the major point of my posts is to aid in the learning process.

Friday, November 15, 2019 2:36 AM
  • Hi hashingsmurf,

Welcome to MSDN forum.

Based on your description, I could reproduce this issue on my side.

To open UWP app without VS, you need to right-click project in VS -> deploy it, then you could open it in Start Menu. 

If you want to upload or share the result file, you need to Right-click project -> Publish -> Create a app package to pack it. Please refer more details: Package a UWP app with Visual Studio.

Hope it could help you.

Best Regards,

Dylan

MSDN Community Support Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com

• Marked as answer by hashingsmurf Friday, November 15, 2019 9:13 AM
    Friday, November 15, 2019 2:40 AM
  • Brilliant reply. Many many thanks. It was driving me crazy. I'm learning. 
    Friday, November 15, 2019 9:15 AM