tfs 2012 add windows users or groups browse button no AD user list

Question

• Hi,

1) I want to add a user to one of the Team project but I don't know how his user is written so I want to see all the user in the Active Directory and check the one is relevnt. In TFS 2010 it was easy but now I can not find a way how to seek users in the AD.

How can I add users from AD by seeking them?

Why The browse button doesn't show all the users in the Active Directory?

I don't know their Display name in AD , I just got his name from his Team Leader.

I know that I can ask the user but this is not the solution, it worked wonderful in TFS 2010 without asking any user.

2) something more: In TFS 2010 I could see any users in the AD and assign him a work item but now I can see them  only the team members. I guess this is work as design. Is it?

Please Advice.

Thanks In Advance,

Zvia

• Edited by zviaa Tuesday, July 09, 2013 8:00 AM
    Monday, July 08, 2013 2:54 PM

All replies

• Hi Zvia, 

Thanks for your post.

TFS not show all the AD users in Assigned To field or in Add a Windows User or Group dialog. If you can’t find his user name in Add a Windows User or Group dialog, it seems that his user name is an unknown user for TFS, you need to type his user’s login name in Add a Windows User or Group dialog, and click check name to ensure this user name is a valid user in AD. Please refer to this article: http://brian.minisi.net/2012/07/12/tfs-2012-add-users-to-a-team-project-group-16-2/.

John Qiao [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Develop and promote your apps in Windows Store
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Tuesday, July 09, 2013 9:27 AM
  • Hi,

Thanks for the response.

I have already checkd the article. I have figure out that the TFS doesn't get the Users from Active Directory because in other TFS server in other comany it works?

The different is that the current TFS is installed on Win Server 2012.

Maybe I forgot to configure something during the installation?

How can I check what is the is a problem with TFS and Active Directory connection?

There are no error in the event viewer

Any idea?

10x,

Zvia

• Edited by zviaa Tuesday, July 09, 2013 1:52 PM syntax
    Tuesday, July 09, 2013 1:20 PM
  • Hi Zvia, 

Thanks for your reply.

What’s the detailed version of your TFS 2012?

As far as I know TFS will automatically sync with Active Directory regularly(one or two hours). There’s no other setting need to configure during installation. 

Do you know his AD login name? Only his login name can’t be added into your TFS 2012 group? Other AD users’ login name can be added in your TFS 2012 group correctly?

John Qiao [MSFT]
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Wednesday, July 10, 2013 2:26 AM
  • Hi,

The TFS product version is 11.0.60315.1 (Tfs2012.Update2)

Somehow the synconization doesn't get the users from AD.

I can't see all the users in the AD when I click on browse button and I dont know Why!?

The problem is that if I want to add user I must know his correct login name.

The ability to find user with any prefix fails.

any Idea, how can I fix it?

BR,

Zvia

Thursday, July 11, 2013 9:34 AM
  • Hi Zvia,

Thanks for your post.

Yes, TFS not show all the AD users when you click on browser button, that’s the expect behavior in TFS, only the currently known users will show when you click browser button.

For that not show users, it mean that users are not currently known users in TFS Server, but it not mean that TFS can’t recognize that user. TFS can recognize that not show users, but you need to enter the user login name to let TFS recognize that user.

John Qiao [MSFT]

Thursday, July 11, 2013 10:15 AM
  • John, Thanks for the answer. what is the propose of Browse button? I have another tfs 2012 with update 1 and their the browse button works and it find user with the prefix I enter. SO According what you said Microsoft changed this ability. so how it work now? How should I search user from AD to add into TFS? Ehat Is the recommended way? It worked fine in Update 1 of TFS 2012 but now what shall I do? BR, Zvia
    Thursday, July 11, 2013 10:59 AM
  • Thanks John! This is stille an issue! I asked the user for his login to AD and gave it in at the TFS add user dialog. As you mentioned above, it worked fine.
    Monday, March 20, 2017 4:26 PM