none
Administrating the MS VC+ Redistributable Installations RRS feed

• Question

• I am not a programmer.

I'm only administrating machines in some small LAN.

None of those machines have any MS development environment installed on it.

Several versions MS Visual C++ Redistributable Package only present on those machines.

Currently I am not able to say which of 3rd party applications had installed them

- analysis in progress.

There are many blogs, discussions and descriptions on the web how to do the deployment

of needed binaries but as good as none how to administrate the present installations.

If it is not the proper community to ask this question, maybe you can tell me

which forum would be better for asking that.

In the moment the Control Panel -> Add Remove Programs indicates several items

of MS Visual C++ Redistr. Some items for the 2005 version, and some items of the 2008 version.

Actually, why must it be so complicated?

The question is:

Which version number must have the installed MS Visual C++ 2008 Redistrib.

to have the latest official 2008 release?

Which version number must have the installed MS Visual C++ 2005 Redistrib.

in order to have latest official 2005 release?

Does it mean for each of these two (2005, 2008) I need to have installed the latest full

installation and additionally some number of updates?

Is it possible to have a list of full installers and/or updates forming together the latest available release?

Why 2 versions must be installed, 2005 and 2008?

I guess the 3rd party applications had lead to this state. Some of them installed

the former, other had installed the latter one. Without checking if any already present on the system.

If I now do the uninstallation of all Redistrib. and then manually install the latest available

2008 version - how good is the chance all 3rd party apps will work?

It means, is 2008 Redistrib. backwards compatible?

Or should I better remove all of them and apply the 2010 Redistrib.?

Saturday, September 18, 2010 10:36 AM

Answers

• Hi aapapapa,

>>Which version number must have the installed MS Visual C++ 2008 Redistrib.

>>to have the latest official 2008 release?

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyID=2051A0C1-C9B5-4B0A-A8F5-770A549FD78C

>>Which version number must have the installed MS Visual C++ 2005 Redistrib.

>>in order to have latest official 2005 release?

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?familyid=766A6AF7-EC73-40FF-B072-9112BAB119C2

>>Does it mean for each of these two (2005, 2008) I need to have installed the latest full installation and additionally some number of updates?

>>Is it possible to have a list of full installers and/or updates forming together the latest available release?

So far, these two packages are up-to-date, there is no extra update.   Farproc is correct, if there are some new updates release, windows update will take care of them.

>>Why 2 versions must be installed, 2005 and 2008?

2005 package and 2008 package work side by side. 2005 package is required for some applications which are developed using Visual C++ 2005. So does 2008 package. They are not compatible. Therefore,  you may need to keep both 2005 and 2008 package installed for different applications.

>>I guess the 3rd party applications had lead to this state. Some of them installed the former, other had installed the latter one. Without checking if any already present on the system. If I now do the uninstallation of all Redistrib. and then manually install the latest available 2008 version - how good is the chance all 3rd party apps will work?

>>It means, is 2008 Redistrib. backwards compatible?

VC++ redist 2008 is not compatible with VC++redist 2005. Suppose there is an application which requires

2005 package, if we remove the 2005 package and keep 2008 package installed, this application is unable to work. 

However, the higher version of VC++ 2008 package is backwards compatible with the lower version. For example, an application which requires VC++ 2008 package (9.0.21022) also works with VC++ 2008 SP1(9.0.30279) package.  

>>Or should I better remove all of them and apply the 2010 Redistrib.?

No. Some relationship between 2005 and 2008 package. The 2010 Package also is not compatible with 2005 and 2008 packages. It is for application developing by VC++2010 only.

If you have any concern, please let me know.

Cheers,

Yi

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Welcome to the All-In-One Code Framework! If you have any feedback, please tell us.
    Monday, September 20, 2010 9:14 AM

All replies

• Ultimately all of the 2005 2008 and 2010 runtime will need to be present: there is no compatibility between them, the dlls that make up each version even have different names.

As far as I know, once installed, Windows Update seems to take care of ensuring that the latest version is present.

Monday, September 20, 2010 5:38 AM
  • Hi aapapapa,

>>Which version number must have the installed MS Visual C++ 2008 Redistrib.

>>to have the latest official 2008 release?

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyID=2051A0C1-C9B5-4B0A-A8F5-770A549FD78C

>>Which version number must have the installed MS Visual C++ 2005 Redistrib.

>>in order to have latest official 2005 release?

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?familyid=766A6AF7-EC73-40FF-B072-9112BAB119C2

>>Does it mean for each of these two (2005, 2008) I need to have installed the latest full installation and additionally some number of updates?

>>Is it possible to have a list of full installers and/or updates forming together the latest available release?

So far, these two packages are up-to-date, there is no extra update.   Farproc is correct, if there are some new updates release, windows update will take care of them.

>>Why 2 versions must be installed, 2005 and 2008?

2005 package and 2008 package work side by side. 2005 package is required for some applications which are developed using Visual C++ 2005. So does 2008 package. They are not compatible. Therefore,  you may need to keep both 2005 and 2008 package installed for different applications.

>>I guess the 3rd party applications had lead to this state. Some of them installed the former, other had installed the latter one. Without checking if any already present on the system. If I now do the uninstallation of all Redistrib. and then manually install the latest available 2008 version - how good is the chance all 3rd party apps will work?

>>It means, is 2008 Redistrib. backwards compatible?

VC++ redist 2008 is not compatible with VC++redist 2005. Suppose there is an application which requires

2005 package, if we remove the 2005 package and keep 2008 package installed, this application is unable to work. 

However, the higher version of VC++ 2008 package is backwards compatible with the lower version. For example, an application which requires VC++ 2008 package (9.0.21022) also works with VC++ 2008 SP1(9.0.30279) package.  

>>Or should I better remove all of them and apply the 2010 Redistrib.?

No. Some relationship between 2005 and 2008 package. The 2010 Package also is not compatible with 2005 and 2008 packages. It is for application developing by VC++2010 only.

If you have any concern, please let me know.

Cheers,

Yi

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Welcome to the All-In-One Code Framework! If you have any feedback, please tell us.
    Monday, September 20, 2010 9:14 AM