none
Windows Kernel Mode Driver Project Template doesn't appear in Visual Studio Project Template menu after downloading WDK

Question

• Hi! Recently I've menaged to develop Windows Kernel Mode Driver so I started reading about that. I've read I need to download WDK. I use Visual Studio 2017 Community so I've downloaded WDK (for Windows 10) version 1709 (in default folder if it matters). When I try to create new project there should appear new templates for developing drivers but they don't.

(From what I've read I've deduced I only need to download the WDK and it's enough, am I right?)

So my question is: what am I supposed to do to the Kernel Mode Driver Project Template appear in Project Templates menu? I've tried to google my problem but I haven't found anything usefull. I know it sounds like very silly question of person who doesn't even know how to download a file and I'm so sorry if it is so silly but I really don't know what to do, I tried many things like redownloading the WDK or downloading other version but nothing helped. Any help will be appreciated.

• Edited by George7001 Saturday, December 30, 2017 3:31 PM
    Saturday, December 30, 2017 3:07 PM

Answers

• Hi George7001,

Welcome to MSDN forum.

AFAIK, Windows WDK is not currently supported on Visual Studio 2017. Windows WDK RS1 and RS2 are both supported on Visual Studio 2015. So if you want to develop Windows Kernel Mode Driver, you can use the Visual Studio 2015.

Note: No need to uninstall Visual Studio 2017, you can run Visual Studio 2015 and 2017 side by side

Besides, according to the

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/drivers/gettingstarted/writing-a-very-small-kmdf--driver

document, it also require Microsoft Visual Studio 2015 and the Windows Driver Kit (WDK) 10 installed.

Hope this help you.

MSDN Community Support Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by George7001 Wednesday, January 03, 2018 9:33 PM
    Monday, January 01, 2018 9:55 AM

All replies

• Hi George7001,

Welcome to MSDN forum.

AFAIK, Windows WDK is not currently supported on Visual Studio 2017. Windows WDK RS1 and RS2 are both supported on Visual Studio 2015. So if you want to develop Windows Kernel Mode Driver, you can use the Visual Studio 2015.

Note: No need to uninstall Visual Studio 2017, you can run Visual Studio 2015 and 2017 side by side

Besides, according to the

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/drivers/gettingstarted/writing-a-very-small-kmdf--driver

document, it also require Microsoft Visual Studio 2015 and the Windows Driver Kit (WDK) 10 installed.

Hope this help you.

MSDN Community Support Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by George7001 Wednesday, January 03, 2018 9:33 PM
    Monday, January 01, 2018 9:55 AM
  • Thank you very much for your answer, everything is working after uninstalling all Visual Studio versions from computer and reinstalling Visual Studio 2017 and WDK 10.
    • Edited by George7001 Wednesday, January 03, 2018 9:35 PM
    Wednesday, January 03, 2018 9:34 PM