List of LS deploy issues RRS feed

• General discussion

• I am trying to gather a hit list of common issues and fixes to get in one place.  Here is start. Please add yours in a reply. I am also starting to think that a LSPing utility in needed. The LSPing will be application level and test various things until fail like an onion. Simple Tcp conn to host, verify IIS info and application pool setup, ping to LS service, ping to service and simple db verify read query, simple db insert, version info, server/local time, etc. This could be available in debug mode.  Exceptions will be Full exceptions from server and sent back without having to mess with web.config, etc.

Popular things to check.
    - Sql connection, firewall ports, instance ports, sql not started, sql browser not started. Sql user/pass not right.
    - IIS App pool not set to ASP.NET v4.0
    - IIS Authentication not set to Anonymous and Forms. Other methods can not be enabled.
    - LS Prereqs check box checked, but LS server prereqs not installed on server.
    - Invalid Preprocess query that throwing error giving Red X.
    - Don't name tables with periods in the name.
    - Token timeout before a refresh. Raise timeout values.
    - MSDeploy 1.1 not on client and server. 1.1 required at server to do ls prereqs. 1.1 required on client. Server can have both.
    - Make sure SL 4 is installed on client and not SL 5 or other versions.

Diag Aids:
    1) Turn off customErrors in web.config in the iisSite. You can't add
       this setting in LS, as LS adds it during deploy so it will fail on duplicate element.
        <customErrors mode="Off" /> <!--RemoteOnly-->
      </system.web>
    Turning this off can help pin-point reasons for the famous Error:
    "Load operation failed for query 'GetAuthenticationInfo'. The remote server returned an error: NotFound."

2) Use Fiddler2 on client. Set customErrors Off. Start fiddler. Open site that is in error. Check fiddler for details. Set customError back after diag.

3) Tracing, check this:
     http://blogs.msdn.com/b/lightswitch/archive/2011/09/20/diagnosing-problems-in-a-deployed-lightswitch-application-eric-erhardt.aspx

Monday, October 31, 2011 5:18 PM

All replies

• In my case, install aspnet 4.0 on IIS and change my Application Pool from “Classic .NET AppPool” to the correct “ASP.NET v4.0 resolved the problem.

Best

Carlos Barbieri

Wednesday, May 20, 2015 6:20 PM