none
Native API for Native Apps RRS feed

• Question

• I want to know how to make a Native Application that runs before the OS gets loaded, I mean, Is there a way in Visual Studio 2012 to build Native Apps that uses the "undocumented" Native API?

Friday, May 31, 2013 2:12 PM

Answers

All replies

• Define before the OS gets loaded. 

Do you mean write a bootloader for your x86/x64 PC? You cannot do that as Visual C++ only makes Windows executables.

Do you mean write a driver that gets loaded fairly early on as Windows loads?  Look for the driver development forums and tools.

Do you mean something that runs before a user logs in?  You can use Visual Studio to write services that can run before log in.

Friday, May 31, 2013 2:17 PM
  • Yes, there should be a way. But, since it is undocumented, we don't know it :)

Just use the Win7 WDK (ver. 76xx).

-- pa

Friday, May 31, 2013 2:47 PM
  • I think you are looking something like Boot Loader .Actually these program are reside at the first sector of hard disk and BIOS automatically load all the content of the first sector in the memory. Have a look on the following link for more details.

Rupesh Shukla

Friday, May 31, 2013 4:41 PM
  • Yes, I want to make a simple "Hello, World!" program that runs before the Windows OS gets loaded.
    Saturday, June 1, 2013 5:55 AM
  • You still haven't defined what you mean by "before Windows OS gets loaded".  Do you mean a bootloader? A custom login screen?

If you truly mean before any part of the OS loads, then read the How to develop your own Bootloader article.

Saturday, June 1, 2013 12:31 PM
  • Probably OP means something like this?
    Inside Native Applications
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb897447.aspx

With kind regards

Saturday, June 1, 2013 1:12 PM