none
VS 2013 Debugger crashing when a breakpoint is hit RRS feed

• Question

• I'm running VS Ultimate 2013 v12.0.21005.1 REL on Win7 Pro sp1 x64. While attempting to debug a C# app targeting .NET 4 Client, I get the following crash when I hit a breakpoint. I tried running a repair install of VS. I also tried blowing away my local working folder an starting with fresh source files from source control. The problem persists.

How can I troubleshoot this?

Problem signature:

Problem Event Name: BEX

Application Name: devenv.exe

Application Version: 12.0.21005.1

Application Timestamp: 524fcb34

Fault Module Name: StackHash_2264

Fault Module Version: 0.0.0.0

Fault Module Timestamp: 00000000

Exception Offset: 74b4c9f5

Exception Code: c0000005

Exception Data: 00000008

OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.48

Locale ID: 1033

Additional Information 1: 2264

Additional Information 2: 2264db07e74365624c50317d7b856ae9

Additional Information 3: 875f

Additional Information 4: 875fa2ef9d2bdca96466e8af55d1ae6e

Wednesday, December 4, 2013 4:41 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Welcome to MSDN.

BEX refers to Buffer Overflow Exception. For more details on BEX, kindly visit http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc738483(WS.10).aspx

In order to narrow down this issue, you could have a look at these suggestions below:

If you hit breakpoints in the oter type of application, will it has the same issue?

If not, you could test the same project in another machine to make sure whether this issue is relate to your project.

If so, you could locate to the IDE folder then run these commands to check if it can help:

Close all software which you could closed, specifically antivirus software.

Please open an administrative CMD window and navigate to <Visual Studio Installation Path>\Common7\IDE and run these commands:

devenv.exe /safemode

devenv.exe /resetskippkgs

devenv.exe /resetuserdata

If possible, please update each result of these suggestions which is quite helpful for us to troubleshoot this issue.

Regards.

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Thursday, December 5, 2013 10:49 AM
  • The /resetuserdata switch appears to have resolved the issue. Thank you.
    Wednesday, December 18, 2013 3:40 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Welcome to MSDN.

BEX refers to Buffer Overflow Exception. For more details on BEX, kindly visit http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc738483(WS.10).aspx

In order to narrow down this issue, you could have a look at these suggestions below:

If you hit breakpoints in the oter type of application, will it has the same issue?

If not, you could test the same project in another machine to make sure whether this issue is relate to your project.

If so, you could locate to the IDE folder then run these commands to check if it can help:

Close all software which you could closed, specifically antivirus software.

Please open an administrative CMD window and navigate to <Visual Studio Installation Path>\Common7\IDE and run these commands:

devenv.exe /safemode

devenv.exe /resetskippkgs

devenv.exe /resetuserdata

If possible, please update each result of these suggestions which is quite helpful for us to troubleshoot this issue.

Regards.

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Thursday, December 5, 2013 10:49 AM
  • The /resetuserdata switch appears to have resolved the issue. Thank you.
    Wednesday, December 18, 2013 3:40 PM
  • +1, this is the fix I've been looking for!  Took months to find it!
    Saturday, April 5, 2014 1:08 PM