none
Why no XNA for Visual Studio 2012?

Question

• Why XNA doesn't update since 4.0 Refresh? I wan XNA is officially supported in Visual Studio 2012. Thanks. 
    Wednesday, January 16, 2013 7:04 AM

Answers

• Hi,

Unfortunately, XNA is not supposed to be used as a target framework in Visual Studio 2012 for both Windows Phone and Windows RT, you are supposed to use DirectX for that.

You can still create applications using XNA, nothing has changed there. But you don't have a project template nor it is supported to be used that way.

But if you prefer XNA as a framework, you can try MonoGame which is an open source implementation of XNA and you can easily build XNA based games for Windows RT with it. Keep in mind that DirectX is available only in C++ project types. If you want to use it in C#, you'll have to either write your own wrappers or use some third party like SharpDX.

Toni Petrina
    My blog: Toni codes .NET
    If a post answers your question, please click "Mark As Answer" on that post and "Vote as Helpful"

Wednesday, January 16, 2013 7:20 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Unfortunately, XNA is not supposed to be used as a target framework in Visual Studio 2012 for both Windows Phone and Windows RT, you are supposed to use DirectX for that.

You can still create applications using XNA, nothing has changed there. But you don't have a project template nor it is supported to be used that way.

But if you prefer XNA as a framework, you can try MonoGame which is an open source implementation of XNA and you can easily build XNA based games for Windows RT with it. Keep in mind that DirectX is available only in C++ project types. If you want to use it in C#, you'll have to either write your own wrappers or use some third party like SharpDX.

Toni Petrina
    My blog: Toni codes .NET
    If a post answers your question, please click "Mark As Answer" on that post and "Vote as Helpful"

Wednesday, January 16, 2013 7:20 AM
  • You can read XNA Game Studio 4.0 in Visual Studio 2012 (including Express) to integrate XNA in Visual Studio 2012.

Any fool can know. The point is to understand.(Albert Einstein)

Thursday, August 15, 2013 11:16 AM